Monday, 9 August 2010

Braised baby carrots with cheats broad bean pilau

Pilau, puloa or pilaf is a dish in which a grain, such as rice or cracked wheat is cooked. It begins with the process of caramelizing sliced onions in butter, until it is browned and golden, the rice is added and is then cooked in a highly seasoned broth made with a large blend of spices. Pilau's may also contain a variety of meat and vegetables.
My pilau is a cheats version, you will forgive me I'm sure, when I tell you its much healthier too as I've replaced the butter with Olive oil. The baby carrots, broad beans and the sad excuse of a garlic bulb are all from my garden plot. Its not highly flavoured as a traditional pilau, but it served us well for a homely meal.
Braised baby carrots with Broad Bean pilau
Serves 2
Basmati rice, enough for two people
Enough baby carrots for two people
Enough broad beans for two people
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
100ml vegetables stock
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
Tabasco sauce
Salt and pepper
Cook the rice, set aside.
Place carrots in a wide saucepan together with 2 tablespoons olive oil, ground cumin, vegetable stock, garlic, dash or two of Tabasco sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Cover with a lid and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes, until the carrots are tender and coated in the sauce.
While the carrots cook, in another pan, blanch the broad beans in boiling water for 7 minutes and drain. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and fry until brown and crisp in places. Add the cumin seeds and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the broad beans. Stir well over low heat for a minutes. Then stir the broad beans and the onions with all the oil into the rice and serve with the carrots and its sauce.
Adapted from Nadine Abensur's Cranks Fast Food. To make this more of a substantial meal, it may be worth serving it with some lentils or pulses. I think I may do that next time.


  1. Tabasco sauce makes everything tastier!

  2. Chilean Woman
    i agree, maybe I should have added an extra dash or two.

  3. It's my first time on your blog and I think it's fantastic that you're trying to grow as much as you can and cook with what you've got. I live in a condo and don't have much of a green thumb, but I started growing peppers in a pot and they've turned out okay.

    I look forward to reading more recipes. I'm now an avid follower.

    Rambles with Reese

  4. Thank you so much for visiting and becoming a follower - Reese. I am humbled, really. Thank you.

    I used to have a large allotment plot, but now have to grow in my tiny garden plot and grow other veg in pots which is rather limited, but it still keeps me contnet that I am able to eat 'some of my own' veg. Before I got a flat with a garden, I lived in a flat without any green space, not even a decent window ledge. So I am pleased to read that you are able to grow peppers, which even better have turned out OK. Surprisingly, I didn't have a green thumb either, i just got the growing bug. Maybe you will too with time :D


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You