Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Ah time flies by..

After travelling 2,000 miles, over 14 days, through four countries taking in four different beds, and several hundreds of photographs later - I am back, but more about that to come.
Right now may I share with you a dish I made before I left for my holidays, a New potato and green bean salad.
I made this salad with some British Sofia new potatoes and green beans also known as French beans which are in season.

This New potato and green bean salad is so simple to prepare and really is a meal in itself. If you do decide to make this, please try to use the smallest new potatoes available, so that you can leave them whole, otherwise after cooking, chop them in half.
The combination of the black olives, sun dried tomatoes, red onion and dressing, really does make this salad an explosion of flavours. The cheese though not essential also adds a little something.
New potato and green bean salad
Serves 2 - 4
250g small new potatoes
200g green beans, trimmed and halved
1 small red onion, sliced
80g black olives, sliced
3 pieces of sun dried tomatoes in oil, cut into thin slivers
Optional 100g Cheddar cheese, grated
For the dressing
1 tablespoon mustard
100ml Olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 clove of garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
Place the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Bring another pan of slated water to the boil and blanch the green beans for 5 – 6 minutes, then drain and refresh under cold water.
Place the warm potatoes in a bowl and add the sliced red onion, green beans, olives and sun dried tomato slivers. Finally mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, season and add to the potato salad. Add in optional cheddar cheese. Serve immediately. From Nadine Abensur's The New Cranks Recipe Book


  1. Hello Mangocheeks!
    Bonnes vacances? (excuse my extremely rusty french!)
    This is a lovely looking recipe! My garden is bursting with french beans at the moment, so I'm looking out for new things to try. My main culinary weak spot is salad dressings - they never come out right for me!
    Can you use any mustard (English yellow, dijon, grain mustard etc) in the recipe?

  2. Gorgeous salad! Glad to have you back to blogging!!

  3. Thank you littleblackfox.
    Yes it was a good holiday. I am sure your French is better than mine!

    I have too harvest some green beans from the garden as well. Hopefully they are edible and not too far gone.

    As for the mustard, I used Dijon. I think English mustard would work too, just don't use grain mustard, the texture would change.

    Thank you so much Morgan.

  4. Yummy salad! How is your French? Welcome back, can't wait to see your pictures;-)

  5. What a lovely salad! I especially like your inclusion of sundried tomatoes and olives, and that vinaigrette sounds like a perfect accompaniment. Welcome back, and I look forward to reading more of your vacation adentures!

  6. Thank you Patty,
    My French is really poor. I barely used any as I was in the company of friends who were fluent in french, so did not get to practice much at all.

    I have so many photographs, not many of food.

    Thank you So, so much Intuitive eggplant. And may I thank you further for becoming a follower and humbling me with your kind support.

  7. oohhh that looks so yummy and I love the fly photograph, amazing.

  8. those salad photos are just beautiful - I am sure you are having fun sifting through your holiday photos - look forward to seeing a few choice ones

  9. Thank you Johanna.
    I'm still sifting though them.

  10. welcome home MC. Look forward to seeing some holiday inspired dishes coming out of your kitchen soon :o)

  11. Oh that looks wonderful and reminds me that I haven't made a nicoise salad in about 2 years.

    Can't wait to read all about your holiday and see your snaps!

  12. Welcome home, I'm looking forward to hearing about your french adventures. Lovely salad!

  13. Thanks Christine and Kath.

    I'm still sorting out the photographs. So it may be a day or two before I get to share some snaps from my holidays.


  14. Standing by to hear about your holiday, what you ate, and the weather... Hope you post lots of photos.

  15. Thank you GardeningBren.
    Going through the photographs is taking a while. Certainly will be a lot of them.


  16. That's the prettiest picture of a fly I have ever seen : ]
    I think its the colors that I am in love with. Great image! The salad looks and sounds wonderful too. It could basically be a meal. I would think with the potatoes that it is quite filling.

  17. The salad looks great but I am really interested in that dressing. It sounds like a must try! :)

  18. Thank you Jacklyn.
    The fly photograph was taken by D. I just had to include it.

    Yes, the salad was a meal in one. Very filling.

    Thank you Lexa.
    The dressing is rather thick and flavoursome. Please do give it a go.

  19. Welcome home! That is a very beautiful & summery salad... thank you! :o)

  20. Thank you Tracy:D

    Thanks Athena.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You