Wednesday, 11 August 2010

Oven braised fennel, green and runner beans

This potato, fennel and runner bean salad was an attempt to use up what we have in the vegetable basket and fridge, otherwise it was all destined for the compost bin in the garden. But before I share the recipe, here's some photographs of vegetables growing in my garden.
The beetroot is not looking promising. Oh it has excellent leaves, but I'm doubtful about the bulb itself.
Kohlrabi, the biggest of the three has now been harvested.
The last of the broad beans, pretty disappointing show this year, hence the reason I picked some up at the weekend.
This goldrush courgette also got picked.
So did this courgette di nizza. As well as fennel, a snowball cauliflower, a floret or two of broccoli and a handful of green bean. I also harvested a load of runner beans from both the Scarlet Emperor and hestia dwarf plants
Some of you will know that I am growing potatoes in two large pots. Even though they have not produced any flowers, I am sure they must be ready, but I have chosen not to harvest them, until after my holidays.
Oven braised fennel, green and runner beansCombined with new potatoes to make a warm salad.
Serves 2 - 4
Ingredients
250g small new potatoes, steamed and set aside
100g green beans, trimmed and halved
200g runner beans, trimmed and cut into diagonals
1 small red onion, sliced
1 medium fennel, ferns removed and sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 clove of garlic, sliced
2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
150ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: fresh fennel herb for garnishing
Method
Place the potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water and boil for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Set aside.
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. In a large oven or baking tin. Add all the ingredients and stir well to combine. Cook for 35 – 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. When the vegetables are tender, stir in the potatoes. Garnish with fennel herb and serve warm.
Garnish with fennel herb and serve warm.

Question is now what to do with the kohlrabi and courgette di nizza and gold rush that I’ve just harvested. Maybe I should spend a little more time in the kitchen this evening and make a pasta salad for our journey down south or maybe some cakes and biscuits to take back to my family, I’m sure they’ll be appreciated more than a tin of chocolates and flowers!

14 comments:

  1. The garden is looking good! You can grate the courgettes and put the in the cake mix....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alessandra.
    I've just made a pasta salad with it and some frittatas with the courgette, but the suggestion is really appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your veggies look gorgeous! I love runner beans; this sounds delicious.

    Good luck with the potato harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Rose.

    Looking good, but not enough to be self-sufficient for a few months :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow the goldrush courgette looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jacqueline. Its one veg. I try to make room for at my plot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your vegetables are beautiful and I like how you are preparing them in such a lovely crunchy fresh flavorful dish! Oh what will you do with your potatoes in the pots???, it's like a soap opera with veggies in the starring roles;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks brilliant! Like all your blog postings- so rich in color and info! Will come here often!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never had runner beans. Sounds fun! My beets are struggling as well. I am having the opposite issue, my actual beet is fine, even bulging out of the earth, the leaves looks kinda meek. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Patty,
    What a fabulous compliment, it really made me smile. I will be smiling as I drive to Wales this morning. Thank you.


    Adelina.
    Thank you so, So much. That is so kind of you.


    Vic.
    I hope they don't go under a different name in the States. Because it is posible you may have, unless its a quintessentially a British vegetables, we do love growing our runner beans in the U.K, especially the scarlet variety.

    Funny, your beets are the opp. of mine. At least some part of them will be edible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks so delicious!

    have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks amazing!! So fresh and inviting. I can't wait to read more...have fun with all of your blackberries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Paula.


    Thank you Tickled Pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a produce!! My father also has yellow courgettes & runner beans in his garden!!

    A lovely meal!! MMMMMMM,..I am making this tonight!! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You