Saturday, 8 November 2014

Its in Belgium

Crispy frites, hot milk melting chocolate off a stick and fruit beers - yes we were in Belgium a few weeks back for our first holiday in four years.  
And more specifically in Bruge popularised moreso since the release of the movie In Bruges with the talented Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell.  
It was proper touristy, which was a bit of a shock for us as we thought going in late October it would have been a bit quieter and not so rushed, but we were so so wrong.  Still we had a pretty good time there.  
We took loads of pictures, but have been selective here. We did everything that is expected, we walked 366 steps up the Beltower, gosh that was hard.
Here is proof that I did it, pictures of the bells and it was 12.00, oh it was amazing and so loud.
Sampled some chocolate. My food head was not screwed on as I was just enjoying the holiday experience.   I even overlooked the abundance of chocolatiers, so there is distinct lack of food photographs here, yes I know very unusual of me.
Admiring a map of the city in lace form.
 .. the canal boat ride ...
Look close at the picture below and you will see a sleeping dog in the window, apparently this dog has also become a tourist attraction as it is often seen there. In fact if you ever watch the movie In Bruges, even if you watch the movie trailer - the dog does make an appearance, so it must be true. 

A little bit of the quirky.


We did have one of the best vegetarian meals ever at De Bhune, but the photographs due to the mood lighting in the family run restaurant do not do the beautifully presented and tasty plates any justice, so you will just have to take my word for it.  We had planned to go back, but it did not happen.
A beer and a farewell to Bruge.



Here we are still in Belgium, but this was a short pit stop on our way back to the Euro-Tunnel in Calais, France.
I am looking forward to going to Belgium again, and maybe this time I will pick up some chocolate for us. 

14 comments:

  1. It looks so pretty! we keep meaning to go on North Sea Ferries - if we do I must remember the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you freerangegirl, So so lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  2. Your photos are beautiful - I don't tend to go on really foodie holidays but love the architecture - I went to Brugge many years ago and am not sure I did the steps - I think I did a tour that took in a chocolatier and beer maker and a windmill etc. I did love the town and enjoyed seeing pictures of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, i have to thank D for the pics, I only took a handful.

      Delete
  3. We had a VERY brief stop in Bruges last year, on the way back from another place, but it did look very interesting and I'd like to spend a few days there. I'm glad you managed to have a holiday. You deserved it after all the stresses you have endured!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Mark.x It was a long weekend for us and most enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, how wonderful, I'm so pleased you got away for a break. I recognise a lot of those Bruges pictures as been a few times with my sister living just outside Brussels. I love fruit beers and chocolate of course. I will have to mention that restaurant to my sis although she's not very into veggie food but it would be an education for her as she thinks we veggies eat boring food! tsk! tsk! So glad you enjoyed yourselves :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Sally.
      We really did have a good time, just a shame it was short, still very enjoyable.

      Delete
  5. Send me a postcard next time you go! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited, the Eurostar is booked and I'm going to Bruges next month! I will most certainly check out de Buhne and can't wait to taste all the wonderful beers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you enjoy it. Have you watched the movie 'In Bruge' def. worth watching to get you in the mood. I do hope you get to go to the Buhne, we were very very impressed at the food and the service. There is another veg cafe, but it was closed when we went, but some bloggers have not rated it highly saying its Canteen style which is very different from cafe style. I look forward to your blog post in the near future and hopefully you will capture more foodie pics than I was able too. Lots of chocolate, beer and frites (beware not all frites are veggie).

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen the movie, so thanks for the tip! And also the warning of the non-veg frites is useful, I must be careful. I do remember from previous visits to Belgium that I haven't always been able to find such good veggie food, but now I'll do my homework in advance. And yes, there will definitely be posts to that trip. :)

      Delete
    3. Follow the link under the first photo to give you an idea of the film, i enjoyed it but it may not be to every ones taste. but it shows fantastic sights of Bruge day and night, so worth watching just for that.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You