Monday, 10 November 2014

A Little Bit of Bruges In My Kitchen

A couple of weeks back, I went for a long weekend with my husband to Bruges, Belgium.  I came back with a handful of things for the kitchen.
We stopped at a supermarket to pick up some sandwiches for our journey back to the U.K, but I couldn't resist also picking up this punnet of tricolour cherry tomatoes depicting the colours of the Belgium Flag.
We were charmed by this ceramic ornament, some kind of bird with a tomato on its head, but what I loved about it most was the various vegetables on its belly, it appealed both to the vegetarian and vegetable grower in me. It was the only ornament type thing that we brought back with us and it sits in the kitchen proudly.



I really wanted to try chocolate beer, so I brought back a bottle with me to try.  Those that I indulged in whilst in Bruges were all berry flavoured: namely cherry and raspberry.
I also picked up some sweet and salty licorice powder for baking; a cookie cutter kit of a 3D house, once made it can be perched on the end of your cup.  And a souvenir blue-white porcelain clogs, one clog depicts Bruges, the second Brussels tied up together with a ribbon in Belgium flag colours, presently this hangs of one of the kitchen drawers.  
Now these next three purchases belong to my husband.  White Asparagus, Pepper Chilli Sauce aptly named Samurai and a tin, of what we think will be pickled vegetables, but we don't know for sure yet.  I personally think he liked the image of the lady on the tin (not shown).
And finally a couple of spice tins purchased at a flee market for a couple of euros.  I am sharing this post with Celia at Fig and Jam for November edition of In My Kitchen Series. Please go by and check out the other IMK posts. 

26 comments:

  1. Lovely food souvenirs, those tomatoes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the tomatoes were gobbled fresh.

      Delete
  2. Have not tried beer with chocolate before. How does it taste? A fun bird ornament to have in your kitchen and love all those cherry tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not overly chocolates, just a hint. It was just okay, but worth trying at least once out of curiousity

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen,
    I think the Chicken has veggies on the stomach to remind us all to eat more veggies :)

    Pretty nice photos of all the tomatoes and the chicken.

    Hope you had a lot of fun on your trip.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice point Chandrasekhar. The break in Bruges was most welcome and long overdue, thank you

      Delete
  4. You got some brilliant things there- your kitchen must look really decorative as well as smelling great from all your lovely cooking! I agree with Chandrasekhar- the chicken is probably saying "Eat veggies and not me!" Those tomatoes look soooo tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:) have to say my kitchen is very old fashioned and needs modernising seriously, still make do for now and Yes, I am loving the chicken/hen bird piece.

      Delete
  5. brilliant souvenirs shaheen - salty liquorice sounds quite odd - have you ideas for it - I haven't had salty liquorice but saw another blogger accidentally bake with it and not like it - I love your hen - must be a nice reminder - and I love all the pretty tomatoes and tins and can't wait to see your little houses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, its not much but some little reminders. D picked up some licorice salty sweets, i had one and it was horrid I had to spit it out, so am not quite sure what I will do with this, but licorice cake comes to mind. I love the hen bird piece for its body, D loves it for its whacky face. Yes, I look forward to playing with the cookie cutter, hope it fits around some of my cups at home.

      Delete
  6. Chocolate beer? Love the spice tins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was my husband that spotted the spice tins.

      Delete
  7. Your chicken is very cute, I bet you smile when you see it each day! I wonder who decided on the tomato on its head? : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is. re the tomato - not sure, there was one with an apple and another with a mushroom!

      Delete
  8. Well, you certainly "went the whole hog" with your souvenirs! A great selection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love food souvenirs!!! And yours look wonderful especially the colour of those tomatoes, I bet they tasted fantastic! Thanks for sharing! Liz x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shaheen, lovely goodies you have! I'd try the chocolate beer, because the chocolate wine from Holland that I had was delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily. The beer was a bit hit and miss, it was just okay. I would LOVE to try chocolate wine though, maybe a trip to Holland :)

      Delete
  11. I squealed in delight - honestly, I did - when I saw that adorable bird with the tomato on his head. He would definitely have pride of place in my kitchen - no wonder you found him irresistible! And those tomatoes look mouthwateringly good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Celia, you really made me smile this morning. Yes, we fell in love with the bird for sure.

      Delete
  12. Hope you enjoyed your break together.
    Love the tomato-headed chicken too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sandy, yes the break was wonderful, albeit a little sort. I am looking forward to a longer holiday next year

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Shaheen, beautiful colours in your kitchen this month. Love the gingerbread house cutter, how cute!
    cheers
    Jason

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You