Thursday, 13 November 2014

Curly Kale Paprika Risotto

Well with the weather getting nippy as well as drippy, I've been making risotto every other week the past month, but this particular Curly Kale Paprika Risott actually came about when I had very little in the house and fridge.  

I just threw together what we had and it turned out pretty nice actually. 
Its getting dark in the evenings, so food photographs are going to look more homely than usual.  
Curly Kale Paprika Risotto
Serves 3 - 4 with a side salad
Ingredients
2 - 3 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 - 4 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 garlic cloves, crushed
A good handful of curly kale, washed, rinsed and roughly chopped (including the stalks)
250g risotto rice
1 1/2- 2 pints vegetable stock
2 - 4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil.  Stir in the onion and sauté for 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic, smoked paprika and cook for a a minute, then stir in the rice and cook for a minute or so. 
Then stir in the chopped kale and about 150ml of the vegetable stock.  Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Once the stock has been absorbed by the rice, gradually add more, a ladle at a time until all is used up.  Stir frequently until the rice is cooked, about 25 - 55 minutes, maybe even more.  Taste and tweak seasoning, as well as smoked paprika to taste.   Cook for a few minutes more, then serve immediately. 

6 comments:

  1. Do you prefer the days getting darker sooner or having more sun?
    I love the homely feel it gives the photographs though. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo trick question, I'm not a sun person, but I don't like it getting to dark in the evenings, guess I am an autumnal girl.

      Delete
  2. Have never made a kale risotto but now you have me wanting one - esp with smoked paprika too - sounds just so lovely and great for a quick wintery dinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, this really was delicious. I enjoyed every mouthful

      Delete
  3. I'm sure this was a delicious risotto and a bit more unusual combination. I have sometimes cooked kale with pearled spelt, and that's very nice too.

    I know that problem too well with the food photography on dark nights, oh well they are still okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly was.
      I've cooked risotto style dishes with barley, but never spelt, so I am interested.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You