Sunday, 23 November 2014

Red Dragon Chilli Chocolate Brownies

The entries for We Should Cocoa November 2014 are coming in thick and fast, that I thought I better share my entry too - Chilli Chocolate Brownies.   I know there are loads of Chilli Chocolate recipes on blogosphere and the Internet in general, but I noted that I have never posted a Chilli Chocolate Brownie recipe on my blog, even though I have made them countless times.  

A few years back, I made these Chocolate Brownies for St Davids Day and dubbed them rather pretentiously as Red Dragon Chilli Chocolate Brownies, they were gone before I could even photograph them, and it was almost the case with these too as these were the last two pieces.   
Around the same time, I also made some Wasabi Chocolate Brownies and dubbed them as Green Dragon Chocolate Brownies.  The idea came to me when I stumbled upon a bar of Dark Wasabi Chocolate, one definitely for adults as the wasabi sneaks up on you and blows your head.  Anyway, back to these Chilli Chocolate Brownies, the chilli heat it right, its not their to knock your socks off or make you run for a glass of milk, though milk with these would be good, no these just give you a bit of warmth, something that is welcome on cold evenings.  

For aesthetic reasons I topped these with birds eye chillies that came from my fathers window ledge.  There is still time to share your  chocolate-chilli recipe for We Should Cocoa, follow this link to find out how. 
Chilli Chocolate Brownies
Makes 1 x 8 inch square tin (About 6 - 9 pieces)
140g dark chocolate

55g unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
170g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
85g plain flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon chill flakes, plus extra pinch for sprinkling on top (this is optional)
Heat oven to Gas Mark 4.
Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar in a
 bain marie (or a bowl suspended over a pan of simmering water). Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then beat in the eggs.
Stir in the sifted flour, baking powder and salt. Finally stir in the chilli flakes. 

Pour into the tin.  Sprinkle over a little more chilli if desired. 
Bake on middle shelf for 25 – 30  minutes, until springy in the centre but firm around the edges. 
Allow to cool in tin before slicing up and serving.  Based on my Raspberry Chocolate Brownies


  1. Ah a lovely sounding brownie, just as I thought when you said you were making brownies yourself for We Should Cocoa =) those mini chillies on top are so cute too!

    1. Thank you Laura. I have to thank my Papa for the chillies, otherwise I think they would have looked like any other brownie

  2. I love the birds eye chilli decoration but would definitely remove them before eating. (Actually 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes sounds like a lot to me but I would give it a try) Glad to see your post to remind me to email you my entry which I posted yesterday.

    1. Yes I too would remove them Johanna. The 1/2 teaspoon was fine for us, feel free to put a smidgeon less if you so wish, I know your not a huge fan of chillies, so understand.

  3. Ooh, if I'd been around Shaheen you wouldn't have even got those last two pieces. I love chilli chocolate brownies and your Red Dragon ones sound fantastic - great name too. Thanks for hosting WSC.

    1. :) I would have been more than happy to have shared them with you Choclette, I just would have made myself another batch :). I had to get my Welsh roots in somewhere, these birds eye chillies were grown in Wales.

  4. These brownies look perfect.... the texture and shine of the crisp top are amazing. I love the contrast of the red chillies in the photos and I can imagine the chilli hit being divine!

    1. Thank you Kate. I was really pleased with these, its a recipe that I rely on making a few changes here and there.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You