Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Red Camargue Rice Salad

I made this red camargue rice salad last month.  It was my first time cooking and eating red camargue rice. 
I don't know why, but I had expected the red camargue rice to be chewy like brown rice, but it wasn't and was somewhere in between white rice and brown rice.  It did however add texture and faint colour to this very autumnal looking salad. The rice was further enhanced by the flavours of the roasted butternut squash and red peppers, I also threw in some fresh tomatoes.  There was plenty of left over as the quantity I made served 3 - 4, so I took some into work the following day for lunch.   

I am sharing this post with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for this weeks Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays and No Croutons Required days hosted this November by Lisa's Kitchen. and Jac at Tinned Tomatoes. 
Integrity statement  I got the  Biona Red Camargue Rice  from Suma Wholefoods.  As a member of the Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products from Suma Wholefoods every two months, to use in recipe development and will blog original recipes for the Network.

14 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Shaheen - im cooking butternut squash into just about everything at the moment! Does the red rice have much of a flavour to it? I've used it once but it was such a long time ago I cant really remember!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Camargue red rice....... It has the most amazing, wholesome, texture and nutty flavour. I LOVE butternut squash too........ I could eat a whole pan of this rice salad!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I think you would have liked this for sure.

      Delete
  3. I often mix red Camargue rice with brown rice to make a more attractive colour and texture. I think it also tastes slightly different; nuttier. Lovely salad btw :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fab idea, may do that next time.

      Delete
  4. A very impressive-looking dish! I think I've only had Camargue Red rice once or twice, and only ever in very traditional dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Mark. I honestly thought it was too simple, hence the reason I haven't typed up the recipe, its straight forward really, still I am very pleased with your comment. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. I haven't tried too many different kinds of rices but this looks pretty and delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet. It was quite lovely.

      Delete
  6. I just tagged a recipe using red camargue rice the other day. This salad looks even better than that recipe. Love the fall colors and flavors. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Deb. I did really enjoy this salad and its simplicity, yes your right fall colours.

      Delete
  7. Lovely. I haven't tried that kind of rice, but I am intrigued. Thanks for submitting this to NCR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I hope you find some to try some - some day.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You