Tuesday, 18 November 2014

Pear, Apple and Ginger Crumble

My husband picked up two bags of pears a couple of weeks back, I have to say I don't like it when he does this, as he never eats the fruit fresh and it sits there, for days, no for weeks going dark and very soft.  I often think its a ploy on his part.  He knows I won't let the fruit go to waste or even the compost bin, and secretly wishes them to somehow magically be transformed into cake or some other sweet thing, and often his little fairy grants his wish.  I wish my little fairy would make me cake!

Anyway, I did originally have intentions on making this Savoury Pear, Blue Cheese and Walnut Tart, and still may do as I still have half a dozen brown freckled pears left over, but at the weekend I ended up making a belly warming Pear, Apple and Ginger Crumble.  
Its been a long while since I've made a pear crumble, the last time was in my first year of blogging and it was with hazelnuts.  This was different in that it had no nutty crunch, but it had warmth and a little fire from the fresh ginger.  I served this golden pear, apple and ginger crumble simply with some home-made custard, but cream or ice-cream would have been nice too.  



I am sharing this blog post with Karen at Lavender and Lovage for Novembers Cooking with Herbs the theme is Sugar and Spice; and Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary No Waste Food Challenge hosted by Slice of Me, as these soft and slightly bruised pears could have easily seen the compost bin. I also had a couple of large cooking apples that I picked up a few weeks back with my quinces, so they also went into the crumble with a good sprinkling of both ginger powder and grated ginger.  

12 comments:

  1. My husband is the same! Brings fruit, then leaves it there till I do something. Hahah
    This looks very delicious though!

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crumble is perfect for Autumn! The hit of ginger in this is really tempting alongside the apple and pear. You have a very lucky husband!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never made a pear crumble, but I love the apple version, so should probably try this as well. Ginger is a nice idea to add to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, the ginger is lovely.

      Delete
  4. sound like a great warming dessert! I love my pears crunchy so try not to buy too many at once (E is a fruit-phobic so is not about to buy me fruit) but when they get soft often they go into smoothies - I love the sound of the tart too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I like the sound of the smoothies, may give it a go this weekend, if I don't get round to making the savoury tart.

      Delete
  5. Mmm yummy. We don't often make desserts apart from when we have visitors - this looks a good 'un!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually cut an apple or a pear in slices and just place it next to my hubby when he's working on his laptop. That's the only way to make him eat his fruit. :) A fab crumble, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Galina, I think that is what my husband is expecting of me some times, I'll try it next time.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You