Saturday, 22 June 2013

Vegan Chocolate Mint Cake

I had originally made these Shamrock decorated vegan Chocolate Mint cakes for St Patricks Day early this year, but they seemed to have been overlooked by many of my readers as I had just got back into blogging, so I thought I would take the opportunity to re-post it again and submit it to Victoria from A Kick at the Pantry Door.   Victoria is hosting this months  We Should Cocoa - a monthly chocolate challenge created  by Choclette of Chocolate Log Blog and Chele of Chocolate Teapot. Victoria has  chosen mint as her special ingredient.

I have to admit I was going to make the this very same cake but instead of adding mint syrup to it, I thought I would press an after eight thin mint chocolate into the batter.  I changed my mind due to time constraints, but that doesn't mean I won't try it next time.  I surely will and recommend you do so too. 

Anyway, my husband dubbed these cakes as  Father Ted's chocolate cake.  For those of you unfamiliar with this reference, here's a link to the hugely successful Irish comedy show Father Ted shown by Channel 4.  I had some green ready to roll icing , so  I used some of this to decorate the cake with shamrock, but of course that is optional.   
Chocolate Mint Cake (or Chocolate After Eight Mint Cake)
Makes 8 x 3 inch round cakes
Ingredients
30g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
165g brown sugar
200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100ml vegetable oil
3 tablespoons of mint syrup (8 x After Eight Thin Mints)
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar

Optional: Ready to roll green icing
Optional: Icing sugar for dusting
Method

Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil an 8 inch round baking tin or 8 round/oval cake tins lined with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar. In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil, mint syrup *(see note below if not using mint syrup) and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients. Then quickly stir in the vinegar.
Pour the batter into the prepared tins and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean. These are better served the following day.

*If not using mint syrup and using After Eight Mint Thins, then press these into the batter, so well covered just before baking. 
The following day, roll out green icing and use a shamrock cookie cutter for decoration and top cakes. Sprinkle with additional white icing sugar.

10 comments:

  1. They look lovely :) Chocolate mint is the best flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Its a classic.

      Delete
  2. This looks so good! I'm home on a rainy day with a cuppa and a cold...How's the kitty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had to take the kitty to a vet, she turned up with a limp - when we took her over, she was tagged and returned to her owners. We were told by the vet that someone else had recently brought her in and she was returned to the owners then, but she may have taken a shine to us as her home circumstances may not be good - so we are hoping for a re-appearance. I post up-date here when she returns then i know she is to be with us.

      Delete
  3. I think this would be great with the after eights baked into these - and the shamrock is very cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. I agree and will def. try it.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great recipe and for entering We Should Cocoa! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pressing after Eight Mints into the batter is a brilliant idea, I wonder how they would turn out. Having sampled your cakes, I know they are really good with or without the After Eight. Thanks for entering them into We Should cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well one of us will have to try it out. :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You