Friday, 7 June 2013

Vegan Strawberry Cake with Strawberry Icing

I'm back to pottering about in the garden, and whilst I was doing a little bit of lazy weeding here and there.  I unearthed a small patch of strawberry plants that i has planted last year.  The delicate white strawberry flowers in full bloom.  I smiled to myself and spoke in the third person 'Yes this lady will be enjoying some home grown strawberries this year', but not quite yet.  Instead, I will have to enjoy those grown by someone else, but at least they are local and in season. 

I don't know what the weather is like where you are, but the sun has been shining graciously upon us all week.  I think its going to last into the weekend, so I've taken this as a sign that it is now officially summertime and I better make the most of it while I have some free days to enjoy. 
I have made a summery big fat pink vegan strawberry cake. And it was glammed up with some natural pink icing. The pink colouring came from the crushed juices of strawberries and then topped with some sliced juicy strawberries with calyx still attached for visual impact.
No small slices served here, its going to be a big fat slice too. The inside of the cake is studded with sliced strawberries, not too much as it would make the cake soggy in places.   
The only thing I would do differently with this cake is that I would cover/coat the sides of the cake with icing too, without it - it can be a tad dry, but I guess that is why you need cream, yeah strawberries and cream - a perfect combo (and yes, you can get vegan cream!)
If you like the look of this strawberry cake, you may also find my Strawberry, Banana and Peanut Butter Cake (a homage to Elvis Presley) dubbed as Graceland cake just as appealing too. Follow this link. I am sharing this vibrant pink cake studde with strawberries with Ren at Fabulicious Food for Junes edition of months Simple and In Season.
Recipe will be posted shortly.

15 comments:

  1. The photos look amazing! I can only imagine how delicious it must be. :)
    I had tried growing strawberries before but found it to be a little tough; they definitely need extra care.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we would have seen this cake, we would have never though it was vegan.. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely surprise to find the strawberry plant. We have some lovely strawberries growing, I just hope that the woodlice don't get them first like they did last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kath,
      I hope for you that the woodlice don't get them too. I need to seriously weed aroudn mine, but am waiting for rain as the soil is too hard for me to pull the weeds out.

      Delete
  4. That looks so yummy and pretty! This lady will be eating lots of home grown strawberries this year too - I've just planted some out on my balcony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks gorgeous!
    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shaheen, thanks for stopping by my blog and catching up.
    Hey this strawberry cake is a real celebration of summer, looks wonderful.
    Take care, x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous cake. I can't wait to see your recipe. I always have trouble when my vegan friends come over for gatherings. This will be the perfect thing to serve. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, I've made another strawberry cake - its vegan too - so you will have two recipes to choose from for your friends.

      Delete
  8. I love the colour of the icing and the fact there is no food colouring

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You