Sunday, 30 June 2013

Red Velvet Strawberry Cake with Strawberry 'Cream Cheese' Frosting

I created this seasonal strawberry cake around this time last year, but was unable to feature it on my blog due to work load and other life distractions.  Plus I didn't get round to taking a photograph of it as it disappeared within hours of making it. 
 
Well last week I was given a chance to cook some of my vegetarian and vegan delights at a local arts venue. I grabbed the opportunity with both hands and thought I'd feature this Red Velvet Strawberry Cake alongside some of my most popular and seasonal dishes, such as the Red Dragon Burgers, Rhubarb and Puy Lentil Curry and vegan BLT.    
This red velvet strawberry cake, well it was truly popular, even the kids from a local primary school who had come in to view some artwork by a young talented new artist were going 'wow'.  So it won't be any surprise to some of you that more than half of the cake was gone by the day.  Everyone who had a slice, could not only believe it was vegan, but were surprised to note how moist it was.  I know I could have added more colouring to make it a deeper red, but I was being cautious. After all its a red velvet cake, not a 'oh my bloody bleeding heart cake'. If you so wish, you could decorate it with more fresh strawberries, but personally I did not want to over-do it.
Follow">http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/2286780/?claim=ngy243ffvby">Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Vegan Red Velvet Strawberry Cake with Strawberry 'Cream Cheese' Frosting
You will need a 10 inch round spring form cake tin for this cake
Serves 12
425g plain flour
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
180g golden caster sugar

400ml soy milk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
100g - 120g fresh strawberries, sliced plus extra for topping
1 Teaspoon red food colouring
Method
Sieve the dry ingredients first over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar.  In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients, then carefully pour into the dry ingredients, along with the sliced strawberries and red food colouring and combine well.  Then pour into baking tin.  Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 45 - 50 minutes of until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool and cover with cream cheese frosting the following day.
For the vegan 'cream cheese' frosting
Icing sugar
Vegan margarine

Vegan Cream Cheese
2 - 3 fresh juicy strawberries crushed or pureed
Method
Put the icing sugar, margarine and 1 - 2 tablespoons of crushed fresh strawberries into a blender and blitz. Allow to chill, then carefully with a spatula spread over the top of the cake and leave to set. Then top with additional freshly sliced strawberries.

13 comments:

  1. This looks sooo good, I can't wait until I get a decent oven to do some baking. Definitely bookmarked this one xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran.
      Hope you get a decent oven. i'd like a bigger one.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I don't blame those kids! This looks so delicious as a Summer afternoon dessert.
    What was the art venue like by the way?

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art venue is fab. I will share more in the near future. I am guest chef there again on Wednesday.

      Delete
  3. Lovely recipe. Am going to have a go at making it, even though I am not a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so pretty! it looks perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks just the sort of thing for an art show - so bright and colourful

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shaheen how r u doing...i'm here after so long....how about using a drop of beet juice.....my daughter is after me for making red velvet cake & i'm kinda pushing it just b'coz of color....I'm thinking of using beet juice as coloring agent....your cake looks perfect for art show & i'm sure must have been tasted very yummy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you. Beet juice would work, but you would need to be careful that it doesn't make the cake too liquid.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen