Sunday, 23 June 2013

Red Pepper, Coriander and Almond Pesto Pasta

After a rather long and frustrating week, I am glad to have a few hours to myself this evening.  I'll share my frustrations with you later on when things have been ironed out so to speak, but right now I'd like to share this rather simple pasta and pesto dish that I made today. 

Its made with peppers straight from jar.  I don't have an aversion to fire roasting my own peppers over a roaring flame and then peeling the blackened charred skin, but today I was in a lazy mood and wanted something a little quick to eat other than a cheesy toastie for my hungry belly. 
I have added a smidgen of chilli flakes to it, okay half a teaspoon but you can choose to omit this if you so wish.  This pesto is also vegan as the ground almonds gave it that 'cheesy taste and texture'.  I have to be honest and say this wasn't one of my favourite pasta dishes, but it filled a very big hole in my belly and you know when your hungry, most food will satisfy you.
am sending this bowl of Red Pepper, Coriander and Almond Pesto Pasta to Karen of Lavender and Lovage for Pasta Please#6, the event that Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes coordinates. This month the theme is nuts.

 
Vegan Red Pepper and Almond Pesto Pasta
Serves 4
Ingredients
Measure out enough pasta of your choice enough for 4 people (I have used farfalle)
50g whole almonds, blanched and peeled
120ml extra virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
250g red peppers from a  jar, drained and rinsed
Small handful of coriander (or parsley)
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Cook the pasta.  While the pasta is cooking, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a wide pan over low heat and gently cook the garlic and chilli until soft but not so much that it browns.  Places the nuts in a food processor and whizz until chopped.  Add half the peppers, the coriander (or parsley)and the remaining olive oil and blitz until well incorporated.  Roughly chop the other other half of the red peppers and add it to the garlicky chilli oil, then tip in the blitzed nuts and pepper pesto until it begins to warm through.
Stir in the cooked and drained pasta. Add salt and pepper to taste and allow it to heat through for a couple of minutes before serving

14 comments:

  1. I think it looks great Shaheen. I would enjoy this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jac, hope your enjoying your holiday

      Delete
  2. I love that you used almonds, rather than the incredibly more expensive pine nuts, in this pesto! And the red pepper must have added so much flavor! NOM!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tiffany.I agree pine nuts are so pricey.

      Delete
  3. Maybe your dish would benefit from a couple of my Scotch Bonnet chillis?! No, I'm just joking, they would be far too hot and would spoil it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I Would love to try some of your scotch bonnet.

      Delete
  4. Looks and sounds really nice Shaheen. I love both Karen's and Jac's challenges and round ups as I get to 'meet' so many like-minded people, like yourself. IF you are at FBC5, I hope yo meet you there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WONDERFUL ingredients, and any recipe that jas red pepper and almond pesto in the title has my immediate attention! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks lovely - plus quick, nutritious and filling - so a great weeknight tea.
    I'm hosting the Pasta Please challenge for July and the theme is Cheeseless Wonders - I hope you're able to join in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ruth. Liking the new Pasta challenge. I often make pasta without cheese, so look forward to participating

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made this tasty pesto & loved every bite of it through yummy pasta! MMMMMMM!!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie. So glad you liked, good to hear from you too.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen