Friday, 21 June 2013

Sunny Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies

Along with the vegan Garlic Mushroom and Parsley Pies these Sunny Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies were second to sold out when I held my first food and crafts fayre a few months ago.  I have not seen these on market stalls in Wales yet, but I know it won't be long to appear.  So watch this space.
 
I really like the sunshine yellow glow of the pastry, its calling out for summer and the filling is not that bad either.
These particular Sunny Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies are made with vegetables, but I have also made them with soy mince otherwise known as textured vegetable protein so that it mimics minced meat. 

I am sharing one of these vegan Sunny Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies with My Legume Love Affair 60 as it contains kidney beans.  MLLA as it is known to its fans, is a popular, legume-centred event was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, and is now run by Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. This June it is being hosted by One Hot Stove. It is the 60th edition  - the diamond anniversary!
 
Vegan Caribbean Vegetable Patty Pies
Makes 6 - 8
2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
1medium onion, peeled and finely sliced
200g carrots, peeled and diced
250g sweet potatoes or butternut squash, peeled and chopped into cubes
3 peppers, red, green and yellow, deseeded and diced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
200g can sweetcorn, drained and rinsed
400g cooked kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder for pastry dough
Method
Preheat the oven to 180ÂșC.
Heat oil and then add in sliced onions and saute until translucent.  Then add in the diced carrots and sweet potatoes or butternut squash if using.  Cook on moderate heat, stirring constantly until beginning to appear translucent, stir in the peppers and thyme leave and continue cooking until all the vegetables are tender.  Stir in the sweetcorn and kidney beans and salt, pepper and cayenne pepper to taste.  Cover and cook for a few minutes for the flavours to blend. Turn off heat and allow to cool. 

Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry – in which case pour the filling into a casserole and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry.

For all these recipes please add 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric powder to the pastry just before kneading.
You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.

Fill the pastry and top with lid.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.

10 comments:

  1. They are so sunny...and beautifully made. Hope you are enjoying the food fayre. I bet your loyal customers are seeking you out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gardening Bren. Do hope you got my e mail.

      Delete
  2. I love the fact that I can find all of these ingredients in the little grocery store by my house. I'll definitely be saving up so that I can try making them sometime.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Adi. Do hope you like. YOu can up the spices if you so wish.

      Delete
  3. what is your first food fayre - is this part of Hunky Dory's

    the patty pies sound really good - so full of vegies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, this was held a few months ago when I still had HD. Nothing on the cards at the moment,

      Delete
  4. I ust LOVE Jamaican patties - with meat of course - but I'd probably like the veggie version too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mark. I think you will too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen