Monday, 18 April 2016

Spirulina Lime Chia Seed Cake

Its not very obvious, but there is a muted green tinge in the Lime Chia Seed Cake from the spirulina.  
Even though I only used 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder, you could taste the spirulina flavour comes through, but it does not dominate as the fresh lime tingles in your mouth too. 



I poked a few holes with the skewer to allow the icing sugar drizzle to seep though (so that patch that looks a bit raw in the middle I assure you its not, its the lime juice sinking in), but this is optional.   Saying that though, my attempts at icing are always hit and miss, I messed up I used more than a tablespoon of lime juice so the icing was more silver - a bit like Krispy Creme Donut glaze topping.  It tasted good though.   I am sharing this with Casa Costello and Maison Cupcake for Bake of the Week.
Spirulina Lime Chia Seed Cake
1 x 8 inch round cake or 1lb loaf tin
Serves 8
Ingredients
Zest and Juice of 2 limes, keep back 1 tablespoon for the icing
150g golden caster sugar
70g apple sauce
60ml sunflower oil
260g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarb. soda
Pinch of fine salt
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon spirulina powder
1 tablespoon chia seeds
50g icing sugar
Method
Line and grease a 1lb loaf tin or 8 inch round cake tin with non-stick baking parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine the juice, zest, sugar apple sauce and oil.
In another bowl, place all the dry ingredients except for the icing sugar and stir well.  
Then add sift this into the wet and stir well to combine.
Scrape carefully into the baking tin and then transfer to a preheated oven gas mark 4/180oc for 30 - 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
As I mentioned above, I poke a few holes with the skewer to allow the icing sugar drizzle to seep though, but this is optional. 
In a clean bowl, whisk the icing sugar with 1 tablespoon of lime juice until smooth.
Pour over the cake and allow to infuse the cake as well as set.
When cool, remove from the tin and serve.

6 comments:

  1. I am trying to imagine the flavour of this and can't! It has me intrigued though - what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kari, your brave as i think I may have scared some of my readers away with the combo. You have to try it, I guess - to be truthful though, I did it mostly for the colour than the spirulina flavour, but it was def. there - a little earthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that this sounds lovely!! I can imagine how the lime balances out the flavour of the spirulina, I love chia seeds too so I know I'd love this cake x Kirsty Hijacked By Twins #BakeoftheWeek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty. It was quite lovely, though different.

      Delete
  4. I love spirulina in shakes but never had it in a cake, sounds brilliant! Thanks for joining in with #BAKEoftheWEEK !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, it is an interesting flavour in cakes - I put some in flapjacks a while back too

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You