Friday, 1 April 2016

April In My Kitchen

I don't have loads of fresh stuff this time round to share.  My fridge is pretty empty as I have been away for a few days, so I share with you some things that I picked up not that long ago.  
These retro sauce pots that stack up on top of each other: Devil Sauce, Curry Sauce, Tartare Sauce and Mustard Sauce.


I am not sure if they will ever be used for sauces, but I do like them. I think I may just fill them up with spices or seeds.
Last year, I shared on my blog a Teapot for One that a friend had given to me for my Birthday.
Well, early in the year, I spotted Teapot for Two in a High Street department store.  I am sorry the picture is not so good, but I hope you get the idea.  I haven't used it yet, but I jumped up and down like an excitable child when D presented it to me as a gift.  He does spoil me with little things.  
This EZ Tofu Press is new in my kitchen too.  For those of you who cook with tofu on a regular basis, I totally recommend it.  Its rather basic in design, but it does what it claims to do -  it really does squeeze out the water, good and proper.  I've made a couple of recipes using it to press excess water out of the tofu and have been well impressed, but more about that later. 
I found this Flavour Shaker in a charity shop still in its box,  for a £1, A flavour shaker apparently crushes, blends, grinds, mixes blah blah blah.  I wasn't attracted to it by the celebrity name associated to it, but the shape of it as it reminded me of Russian doll set. I have yet to try it out.
I've had Jackfruit in a Bangladeshi Curry in the past, but last year many vegan and non-vegan bloggers were raving about it as a substitute for meat, especially as Pulled 'pork', of course I had to try this new foodie trend for myself and have to say I was sold.  Since then, I  have been making and really enjoying BBQ Pulled 'Pork' Jackfruit quite a bit. Young Green Jackfruit is not easy to come by where I live, so whenever I go into a large town or city and spot them I bring home a couple of cans or whatever I can carry.
Another one of my new favourite products in the kitchen this year has been Japanese Sea Vegetable Salad, Green Nori Sprinkle and Sea Spaghetti Seaweed.  I made a vegan Ocean 'Fish' Pie with it recently and it was most delicious.  I have a few more recipes planned.  
Now for something from the garden, my garden.  Some fresh rainbow chard and perpetual spinach. 
And finally some homemade flapjacks flavoured with Savvy Carob Wildflower Honey Spread. I am not that keen on carob but in this honey spread it was utterly gorgeous and even more so stirred into a basic flapjack mixture.  It made for a easy delicious breakfast on the go.   I am sharing this post with  Maureen of The Orgasmic Chef. 

25 comments:

  1. I love your teapot for one...Glad to know you're keeping well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those sauce pots, Shaheen, they are soooooo cooooooool! As is that teapot for two:)

    That flavor shaker reminded me of the Russian Doll set I have too. Another cool thing:)

    What the heck, everything you have shared today has brightened my day. I may just join you "guys" for In My Kitchen next week. I better check over at Maureen's to see the rules.

    Thanks for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise, do join in IMK, its quite interesting having a nosy in other peoples kitchen :) The deadline is the 10th, and pretty much anything goes, as long as its in Your kitchen, or thereabouts.

      Delete
  3. Your rainbow chard looks good, and I love your tea for two set! We had a flavour shaker, but we shook it too hard and the ball broke the plastic! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Susie - that doesn't sound good for the flavour shaker, I am pleased I picked it up from a charity shop, I would never had purchased it new.

      Delete
  4. Love your retro collection...And the honey! Oh, my, goodness...Sooo yummy looking. And you've inspired me to buy a tofu press!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ninja Baker, I'd recommend this Tofu Press only for the reason that the others are designed for uniform shaped tofu, I often buy tofu froma Chinese supermarket and this one accommodates it.

      Delete
    2. Ninja Baker, I have tried to leave a comment on your blog but am struggling too, so apologies - but I am adoring those blossom cookies.

      Delete
  5. I love carob so like the idea of that spread! The stackable sauce jars are cute too, as is your new tea for two pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was delicious Kari, though not vegan.

      Delete
  6. Very nice kitchen things, and a tofu press!! I think I'll have to get one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VegHog a tofu press and I'd recommend this one is not cheap, but if you cook with tofu all the time then its really worth it.

      Delete
  7. ohhh those retro sauce pots are beautiful! Whoops your tea set just reminded me I have had tea steeping in the kitchen for twenty minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a bit of a thing for teapots - my grandmother actually just passed on her sliver teapot to me {maybe that should feature in my next In my Kitchen post}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you share in your next IMK Shari

      Delete
  9. Love your new (old) Flavour Shaker & hope it works for you Shaheen - let me know what it's like. I just like things that grind & mix & shake :) Your rainbow chard looks amazing, you should be very proud. All the seaweed goodies sound amazing, will keep my eyes open for anything like that here in Melbourne, Australia. See you soon x
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2016/04/10/in-my-kitchen-april-2016/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, a fellow blogger Susie wasn't impress with the flavour shaker she said it broke when she shook it too hard. I've yet to try it. Hope you find some seaweed goodies where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such lovely things in your kitchen - that teapot set is fantastic as are your sauce pots (never heard of either before though I would be worried I would break the teapot set with balancing them on top of each other). And I am off to check out the tofu press - that is something I have had on my wish list for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, though not well photographed :( I feel the same about the Tea for Two Teapot about balancing them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the first teapot for two set I've seen, love it. The sauce pots are fantastic too, though I would probably also store spices or seeds in them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gretchen. So pleased you like.

      Delete
  14. you have some fab things there shaheen. love your teapots, and how interesting is the jackfruit in a tin. i would never have thought of using it as a substitute for meat:) and i have never seen a tofu press before. i bet you are having fun with it!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You