Tuesday, 5 April 2016

Darjeeling Pecan Tea Loaf

This is a softly scented Darjeeling Pecan Tea Loaf.


I was prompted to make when Tea and  Sympatico left a comment on my vegan Jaffa Cake' , after responding to her comment.  I had a little nosy around a blog she followed and clocked a Tea Loaf recipe that would use up 2 tablespoons of marmalade sitting at the bottom of the jar left over from the Jaffa Cake recipe,  It was not long before I found myself in the kitchen measuring out the ingredients and those I d id not have, I substituted with what I had. For example her cake was made with Orange flavour Redbush (Rooibos), I used Darjeeling.   
I am not a Darjeeling tea drinker, my husband is and I've used his teabags in the past for Banana and Darjeeling Cake: this loaf though is suitable for vegans.  There was something Welsh Bara Brith about it too which I liked. So even though this cake is made with tea, you still need a cuppa with it to wash it down. I am sharing these 'Cake' with Jibber Jabber Uk for Love Cake: the theme is I'll Drink to That Alphabakes hosted by Caroline Makes and The More Than The Occasional Baker.  The letter is T and this vegan cake is made with Darjeeling Tea.
Darjeeling Pecan Tea Loaf
Serves 6 or 8 slices
Ingredients
2 cups flour/275g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon bicarb powder
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 cup/60ml sunflower oil
Optional: 1 teaspoon orange blossom water 
2 teabags of Darjeeling or other suitable tea steeped in 1 1/4 cup or 250ml hot water
60g chopped pecans, save some for topping
2 tablespoons marmalade
Optional: 60g dried fruit
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 180oc.
In a bowl, sift the dry ingredients into a large bow, then one at a time stir in the wet ingredients until well combined, then stir in the pecans, marmalade and dried fruit if using, then stir well to combine, before scraping into a loaf tin that has been lined with non stick baking parchment paper.

Top the cake batter with the remaining pecans.
Transfer to tin and bake for 50 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool down before removing from the tin and slicing.
Adapted from Cake Liberation Front: Orange and Pecan Tea Bread.

12 comments:

  1. Nice to see you in the latest edition of the Vegetarian Society's quarterly magazine :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I've still to write about the day, but am holding off as Cranks haven't reimbursed my travel costs. So hopefully you will read more about it, they didn't use my quote either so i will inc. it my post when I share.

      Delete
  2. Darjeeling has recently become my new favourite 'fancy' tea (Yorkshire tea is my favourite everyday tea) so I'm extra pleased to see a tea loaf using it. Plus you've used my favourite nut too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Laura, it is a bit fancy. I don't drink it though, preferring herbals/fruity ones. I do drink normal tea on occasions and coffee too. Yes, pecans are lush

      Delete
  3. Yum! Though as I sat down to read this I was drinking tea with my last teabag of Darjeeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is funny, really funny that it is Darjeeling too.

      Delete
  4. I much prefer tea in baking than in cups of tea - except herbal infusions (which some might not see as proper tea) so this cake looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I don't do it enough - so hopefully more Loafs infused with Tea.

      Delete
  5. Mmm, I love Darjeeling so I will have to try this. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i hope you have noted that this is an adaptation inspired by you.

      Delete
  6. I love tea cakes and this looks delicious. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You