Saturday, 23 April 2016

Sauteed Edamame Beans with Vegan Black Pudding

I picked up some vegan VPud Black Pudding the last time I went into the city of Cardiff.  

I had no ideas of what I was going to do with it, but I knew I had developed a liking for it especially at the weekend for a greasy veggie fry-up.   It makes for a nice change from the usual veggie sausages. 
This is a brunch dish, though you could happily have it in the evening.  The potatoes are chopped small into little cubes, then baked in the oven with a little oil until golden crispy,  a bit like hash browns or crispy croutons.  The final dish reminded me of one of those meals that would hit the spot if you had a hangover from the night before, if you get my drift.  But its a little more healthier, or seems that way - instead of baked beans we have edamame, soya, broad beans and peas sauteed and instead of veggie bangers we have pan fried vegan black pudding. If you can't find VPud Black Pudding where you are, either omit it or sub it with something else. 



D had his with a fried egg, I squirted a little bit of Tamarind brown sauce on mine.  it was delicious and we both said we could happily eat it again.  
Sauteed Edamame Beans with Black Pudding and Hash Browns
Serves 2 generously 
Ingredients
Vegetable or Olive oil for roasting and frying
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1 fat red chilli, sliced
150g edamame beans (or a mixture with peas, soya beans and broad beans)

1 x vegan VPud Black Pudding
For the hash browns
Toss the cubed potatoes in 1 - 2 tablespoon olive oil and bake in the oven until crisp.  
Stir halfway through, to ensure even browning. 
Fro the Sauteed Edamame Beans
Heat 1 tablespoon onion, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook until they become soft and tender, stir in the chilli and thyme and cook for a couple of minutes, before stirring in the edamame beans, peas, soya beans and broad beans.  
Reduce the heat and saute them for a few minutes. 
While the potatoes are roasting and the Edamame beans are being sauteed.
In another pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil and pan fry the black pudding until just golden on both sides.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and stir well into the sauteed edamame beans, then transfer between dishes.
Top off with pan fried vegetarian black pudding.
Optional: Serve with a fried egg..  
Other vegan and vegetarian Black Pudding recipes
Ratatouille, with Polenta
Sweet Potato Spelt Flour Galette
Simply for breakfast - Pan-fried

4 comments:

  1. Hello Shaheen, fab blog!
    One query; where do you source your edamame beans??
    Holland & Barrett used to sell them frozen but ...... not any more in my local shop.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary.
      I have struggled to find them and was so excited when I did. I found these in M&S, but its a mixed bag with other green podded peas and beans, I have seen edamame/soy beans in the supermarket T.... too, so you could try there too. Both in the frozen section.

      Delete
  2. I really like the sound of this. I love the V Pud. We've also tried it chopped up and added to risotto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think V Pud has improved over the years, I have been liking it a lot more recently than years back when I first discovered it. Yes, can see it in a risotto too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You