Friday, 15 April 2016

Curried Butter Beans with Mushrooms and Kale

I know its spring and I should be sharing elegantly presented light green dishes with all manner of micro green garnish, instead I share an autumnal looking one.   
This Curried Butter Bean dish hit the spot that evening when I came in from work feeling like a little fed up with stuff going on around me at work, but I don't want to talk about 'office politics' and favouritism.  No I want to talk about this naturally 'buttery' bean bowl that melts in the mouth with a hint of tomatoey spice and the kale is almost seaweed like.  This recipe can be more soup like if you add more stock or water to it, but I enjoyed the thickness of it wrapped up in a tortilla bundle like a big warm hug.


I had some mushrooms left over from the Smoked Paprika Mushroom Loaf and threw them in, but its not necessary other than it gives this dish additional texture.  
I am joining in for the first time with Fiesta Friday #115 co-hosted Hostess At Heart and Too Zesty, I am looking forward to meeting some new like minded bloggers and be inspired;as well as the lovely Kimmy at Rock My Vegan Socks for Healthy Vegan Fridays.and Simple and in Season hosted by Feeding Boys. 
Curried Butter Beans with Mushrooms and Kale
Serves 6
Ingredients
250g dried butter beans, soaked overnight then drained and cooked with fresh water until soft.  Drain and set aside.


4 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 onions, minced
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 inch of ginger, grated or minced

1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon of salt or to taste
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 teaspoon of chilli powder or to taste
4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped 

100g curly kale, removed from stalk and roughly chopped
Optional: 100g mushrooms, sliced
Method
In a large wide pan, heat the oil then add the minced onions, garlic and ginger and cook until transparent, add the cumin seeds and spices and cook until the oil rises to the surface. 
Add the tomatoes and cook until well integrated. 
Then stir in the butter beans and cook until flavours are well infused and the beans are proper tender and well cooked. Keep stirring to stop the beans from sticking to the pan.  When the oil has raised to the surface again, stir in the kale and mushrooms.
Let it simmer until the flavours have infused, if it seems a little dry stir in a few tablespoons of water. 
Serve with brown rice or wrap it up in a tortailla wrap or chappatti/roti wrap.
Adapted from my Butter Bean Curry recipe

26 comments:

  1. These curried butter beans are the perfect dish for this side of the world - the nights are starting to get cooler and warm, comforting meals are making an appearance most nights. I like the idea of thinning it into a soup too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyra, yes agree would be good as a hearty soup too.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it true that cooking can be a balm for what stresses you out? This dish looks just delicious! Hope you have a wonderful Fiesta Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, I am always glad when its the weekend.

      Delete
  3. You have a very positive attitude and I hope everything sorts out just fine at work!
    I actually love autumn-like recipes during spring since we sometimes receive rain and/or strong winds. The warmth of this sounds perfect for today's windy weather.<3

    VEGETARIAN COURTESYFACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your lovely Adi. Its just work, nothing is going to change there.

      Delete
  4. We are finally getting Spring like weather in my neck of the woods, Shaheen but that doesn't mean a good hearty bowl of these butter beans is to be shunned. No WAY! I can just imagine the buttery beans and spices melting together in goodness!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, your comments always make me chuckle.

      Delete
  5. that's perfect for our weather right now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we had hailstones today.

      Delete
  6. Nothing wrong with autumnal dishes, especially when they look as delicious as this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, guess what it hailed ice stones today, so I guess not so daft.

      Delete
  7. I love butter beans...and curry...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some lovely flavours in this and it's a great way to use up kale as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE butter beans!!! I haven't seen fresh ones in ages, but I like that you used dried ones. And mushrooms. Mmmm mushrooms. This dish sounds so incredible. I can't wait to try it.
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Healthy Vegan Fridays - I'm featuring it next week and pinning (and bookmarking to make soon!).
    ps. Are you able to add your blog to Bloglovin'? It's my blog feed and I would love to regularly follow your blog =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kimmy. I don't think I have ever seen fresh butter beans in the UK either. I am flattered that you wish to follow me. I am on Bloglovin' - check out the sidebar to link. I do want you to know though that I am not vegan, although my diet is mostly vegan - I am still a vegetarian. Also thank you so much for featuring my recipe later on, I will sure to come on over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - I made this for lunch today and it was SO GOOD!!! I found tinned butter beans and it worked fine and it was nice to vary my bean enjoyment =) YUM!

      Delete
  11. This looks delicious Shaheen, I think I could eat it all year round. I haven't tried butter beans in a curry, I tend to use chick peas, will be trying this soon with the last of my curly kale from the veg patch. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sarah you must - its beeter the day after like most curry and stew like dishes for the flavours to infuse.

      Delete
  12. This looks wonderfully warming and nutritious, the perfect antidote to a pants day at work! Thanks so much for hooking up with Simple and in Season :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katie. I am looking forward to my holidays, one week to go - yay.

      Delete
  13. Shaheen- I know Spring means that we are suppose to be eating "greener" and lighter but I do love best the Autumn/Winter meals. And how do you not love anything curry! I have printed this off to give it a go. Thanks so much for sharing. I hope works sorts itself out. We spend WAY too much time there to be unhappy!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You