Thursday, 9 November 2017

Roasted Butternut Squash, Fennel, Orzo Salad

I lose track when exactly I made this Roasted Butternut Squash, Fennel Orzo Salad, but it was around the time I made Beetroot Orzo Pasta and Green Bean Salad for work.  This was made in the same week as I had cooked way too much orzo.

For those of you who may be unfamiliar wither Orzo, Orzo is Italian and translates as barley from which it was originally made.  These days, orzo is made from hard wheat semolina.  For people like me, orzo often means rice-shaped pasta. 
Talking of orzo translating as barley, a few months ago when we went to Swansea VegFest, we went into the city of Swansea and stopped at an Italian eatery for a light snack.  

I had a popular Italian drink known as Caffe d'orzo, an Italian caffeine free Barley drink often drunk as a coffee substitute. 
 It is an acquired taste and made for an interesting change from real coffee. 

Anyway, this  Roasted Butternut Squash, Fennel Orzo Salad is a very simple recipe.  To the cooked orzo pasta, I added roasted butternut squash and fennel, sliced black olives and red onion.  
Other Butternut Squash Salad Recipes
Farro, Feta and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Spiced Chickpeas and Roasted Butternut Squash Salad
Turmeric Pasta with Blood Orange Chilli Oil
Broccoli, Butternut and cranberry Couscous Salad

I am sharing this Orzo Pasta Salad with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.  

8 comments:

  1. I remember drinking barley drinks years ago but haven't had them for ages and can't really remember the taste. I'm impressed it was being served out and about as I haven't seen it on offer in cafes.

    I like the sound of this salad too - I love orzo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what is funny, I actually stumbled across an Italian coffee shop/deli in the town where I work, never noticed it before, but on their shelves was a tub of Barley Tea, I may get it the next time I go in.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a great salad and I love the colors for fall. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. Yeah, def. colours of the fall.

      Delete
  3. You're always a source of inspiration for things to do with orzo. It's one of my favourite types of pasta. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You