Tuesday, 7 November 2017

One of Three Banditos in my November Kitchen

I am afraid to say that there is not that much new In My Kitchen this November as I have been bogged down with work distractions and finding that when I get home, that I am very tired and therefore not spending much time in my kitchen, and not thinking about it much either.
I did however find some things in my kitchen to share.  

I picked up this Salsa Habernero Hot Sauce from Harvey Nichols when we went to Birmingham a few months ago.  I have to confess we fell for the mean Mexican Bandit - he was one of Three Banditos, but his mean moustache won us over.


The festive holidays are coming and I must admit, I have not thought that far ahead yet.  However, we did pick up two bottles of flavoured syrups often used in coffee shops.  

We actually always have a bottle of Gingerbread Spice Syrup throughout the year, but I got excited when I saw Salted Caramel recently and picked it up for homemade weekend coffee mugs.
In My Kitchen you will find some very ripe Nergi fruit - What on earth is nergi? I hear some of you say out loud.  Well Nergi fruit is a green berry.  It looks like a green olive , but it tastes a cross between kiwi fruit, grape and a little mangoey I think.   It is also known as Siberian Kiwi or kiwi berry. 

We have enjoyed the Nergi fruit slices over mini meringues with whipped cream for extra sugar rush.
I have been cooking, mostly at weekends in bulk, so that meals last us for 3 days at least.  The above chopped up Butternut Squash was used for a Chili Pot.
Like I said, work has been busy - so  over the past couple of weeks I have picked up some ready made products, namely M&S new range of veggie sausages.  Above are Sweet Potato and Red Pepper sausages which I did not mind and below M&S Roasted Mushroom and Red Onion Sausages.  I don't expect to get M&S to send me freebies and I am not going to suck up to them to get PR work.  I think they were okay,  I don't think I will be rushing to buy them again, but they were worth trying at least once as I do like trying out new vegetarian and vegan products on the market. 
I am sharing these things in My Kitchen with Sherry Pickings for In My Kitchen series

16 comments:

  1. Nice finds! Thanks so much for finding my blog again! And commenting! I responded to your comment on my blog! Also re-linked you! I'm so glad I re-did my blogroll recently! I'm still finding old friends I lost touch with - so sorry about that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jennifer.
      No need to apologise, I don't find enough time to blog these days, so will visit when I can.

      Delete
  2. The Nergi is intriguing. I haven't seen them but I looked it up, and the term has been trademarked and in use for something like 4 years. So they are a pretty new item. As I understand it, kiwis are all within the gooseberry family-- does this sound right to you?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mae, yes pretty new - i like how you highlight that these are related to the gooseberry family, as yes - that is probably what they looked like more than olives.

      Delete
  3. hi Shaheen
    thanks for being a regular IMK participant. much appreciated. i know what you mean; sometimes it's all too hard to think about cooking and kitchens, isn't it?:) I've never heard of nergi before. funny little things. love the bandito. such a cutie. have a good november. cheers Sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very kind Sherry. Thank you. Yes the nergi is unusual, they are not that popular as of yet and were actually quite pricey, so may take a while to take off

      Delete
  4. Given how busy you are, you still have a very interesting kitchen. I know the feeling of being so busy that ready made products look good - I bought ready made burgers today because last night it was baked beans and I needed something more fancy :-) That bandito is very cute - needs to be on the table with the salt and pepper every night. I like the sound of the sausages and I like your thoughts on them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind Johanna. I do have things, but many not photographed, so hopefully get round to sharing them in the next couple of months. I do like the mean Bandito, his facial expression is reflecting mine when I come home from work these days.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for introducing us to nergi, I have never heard of them but they sound very intriguing. I will keep an eye out for them here in the states. Butternut squash in anything is a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm excited to explore the new M&S veggie products in time, although I'm sorry you didn't love them. Like you, I'll probably try them anyway thanks to my desire to try all new vegan products! I like your hot sauce bottle too and your batch cooking is impressive if you've been busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do frequent M&S a lot now than I used too, and always happy to try out new veggie and vegan products at least once, esp. their sandwich and salad range which has been a bit more interesting of late.

      Delete
  7. I think I might have seen nergi once before at a greengrocer's near me. I wasn't sure what they were, so I didn't buy any, but from your description, I think I've missed out. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure they will be making more of an appearance at greengrocers soon and hopefully more affordable, as these were quite pricey

      Delete
  8. Shaheen, it seems like life (and blogging) go in all or nothing streaks sometimes. Way to go on publishing an interesting, entertaining IMK post despite feeling "meh". Sounds like you have a very demanding job, and I hope you get to sit down and enjoy a Salted Caramel coffee (or other tasty flavor) soon. Take time -- MAKE time -- for you, xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, your very kind. I don't know about demanding job, but the work atmosphere and office politics do get to me sometimes, hopefully next year will bring new opportunities. Will try and make time for myself for sure, but I would love to enjoy it with my husband, he is my best friend and I like sharing small moments with him. Thank you so much.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You