Thursday, 26 October 2017

Halloween Chili

Chili is so easy to knock up for a crowd.

And here is my Halloween offering for a crowd. 
In the past I have stuffed peppers and cut out silly faces in them.  This time for a bit of fun I thought I would have some bobbing up from the chili.  I added them to the pot with the black beans and they cooked slowly on top mostly from the steam.
These yellow peppers staring out at me like masks brought a childish smile to my face. 

The Chili itself was lovely, of course it was.  We love Chili for its versatility, especially during working weekdays when its easy to serve with some rice. 



Halloween Black Bean Chili 
Serves 4 - 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
250g Suma organic Black Beans, soaked overnight


4 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 medium onions, finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
2 fresh red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground coriander

1/2 teaspoon dried chili flakes
4 medium carrots, peeled and quartered

2 Orange peppers, 
1 x 400g can of tomatoes, chopped
 Salt and pepper to taste
 Method
In a wide pan, cook beans in water until tender.  Drain and set aside.
In a saucepan, warm the oil on medium heat.  

Add the onions and garlic and saute until the onions become soft.  
Add the celery and chili, then cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the cumin, oregano, coriander, chili flakes and season with salt and pepper to taste and cook for a few minutes for it to coat the oniony mixture.  

Then stir in the tomatoes, cook for 10 minutes until they have begun to disintegrate and break down.
Then stir in the carrots and Orange pepper, cover and cook until the peppers begin to soften.  
Stir occasionally to keep the spices from burning.  
Then add in the black beans and cook for 20 minutes.
If it seems a little dry, add a little water or liquid from the cooked beans. 
Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary.

As a member of Suma Bloggers Network, I will receive a selection of complimentary products every two months to use in recipe development and blog original recipes for the Network. 

14 comments:

  1. Wow these look great - how did you do the faces - did you cook them with the black beans for 20 min and did you stir them through or keep them at the top - I really like the black bean eyes - suitable spooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I updated the blog post thanks for the nudge. I cooked with with the black beans, but left them simmering mostly on top to cook with the steam and stirred 'around' them as I did not want them to get mushy.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Belinda. A child in all of us :)

      Delete
  3. I planned to make chilli this weekend and will now have to include pepper faces :D What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chili is great. We do love it, and often vary the veg. that goes into it. Hope you enjoy yours, look forward to seeing your pepper faces.

      Delete
  4. LOVE this Shaheen. What a fab idea! Those peppers are quite creepy.... but yes... they brought a smile to my face too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! That is brilliant. How festive! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I try a little sometimes :)

      Delete
  6. You're such a creative cook - those faces are cute and spooky. The black and orange are so clever too - Halloween on a plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind Joey. thank you. You need to see my blog post today - a little bit cheezy!

      Delete
  7. I already saw this dish on Twitter in your post and it made me smile. Those faces look so good, and I'm sure that the chilli is tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you VegHog. The chili was really good, there will be more , no doubt.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You