Tuesday, 17 October 2017

'Cheesy' Broccoli Beer Soup with Smoky Sunflower Chorizo Croutons

Did you see the red sun yesterday?!

It was truly Amazing - I am not one of those people who throws the word around lightly, it really was amazing.  
Early on in the week I made a Red Tomato Curry, today I share a bowl red soup which by all means should have been green according to the both the photograph in the cookbook, but also the ingredients including broccoli.  Upon a little research on blogophere, I noted that other food bloggers had also made the Cheesy Broccoli Beer Soup and it was also not the vibrant green featured in the cookbook Street Vegan, so I felt relieved that I was not heavy handed with either the soy sauce  or tamari and smoked paprika.    
Anyway, this Cheesy Broccoli Beer Soup with Smoky Sunflower Chorizo Croutons was ridiculously flavourful, but in a very good way.  I especially loved the different levels of flavour from the topping the beer, the cheesiness from the nutritional yeas.  It was also very velvety.  Its definitely a soup that clings to the spoon.
I even loved the Smoky Sunflower Chorizo which I served as croutons, but I could easily eat it as a nibble in place of savoury nuts too. 


I think the Cheesy Broccoli Soup is plenty flavourful and may in the future omit the beer all together as I do not think it is necessary, but it is completely up to you if you want more depth of flavour. 
I have been courteous n the past and wasn't going to post the recipe, but noted that other bloggers had, so decided to do so as I adapted the recipe a little, but full credit still goes to Adam Sobel for this amazing Cheesy Broccoli Beer Soup with Smoky Sunflower Chorizo, but if he should ever visit my humble little blog and request that I remove the recipe, I would be more than happy to do so.

I am sharing this with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.  

Cheesy Broccoli Beer Soup with Smoky Sunflower Chorizo
For the Sunflower Chorizo
Ingredients
3/4 cups sunflower seeds
1 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon asafetida
1 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoons fennel seeds
Method
Preheat the oven to 200ocs and line a large baking tray with baking paper coated with oil.
Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute to combine and allow the seeds to break up, but not to a puree, it should retain some texture.

Spread the mixture thinly over the baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or so, until it begins to crisp up. 
Remove from teh oven and allow to cool. 
Then break up in uneven shards, fancy word for pieces.
For the 'Cheesy' Broccoli Beer Soup
Ingredients
Serves 6
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
2 medium onions, finely sliced
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon asafetida
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2- 4 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
1 large head of broccoli, roughly chopped including the stalk
3 small mashable potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
250ml vegan beer (drink the rest!)
2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
 Method
 Heat the oil in a large wide pan and saute the onions for a few minutes until translucent, then stir in the garlic and celery and cook for five minutes or so  before stirring in the mustard, cayenne, paprika and soy sauce or tamari and cook on medium heat for a few minutes. 
Add the chopped broccoli and potatoes and stir to coat in the spices, then add the nutritional yeast.
Pour in the vegetable stock and beer. 
Bring to the boil, then cover  and allow to simmer until the potato and broccoli are cooked.
Allow the soup to cool before blending either in a blender or  with a hand held blender.
Reheat a little and serve topped with the Sunflower Chorizo.
Adapted from Adam Sobel's Street Vegan cookbook.
Other recipes that i have made from the Street Vegan Cookbook are
Maple Mustard Glazed Seitan Strips for 

French Lentil Soup with Capers and Fried Pine Nuts from 

14 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the look of this. I make cheesy broccoli soup regularly, but without the beer and chorizo trimmings, which look like they'd take things to a new level of tastiness. I like your instruction on what to do with the rest of the beer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joey, I think soup is on the menu this weekend too, the weather has turned proper cold now for sure.

      Delete
  2. That looks a great recipe as the clocks are soon to go back - will bookmark this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, hope you join in with #EatYourGreens this month

      Delete
  3. ... And your recipe distracted me from saying, yes, I saw the red sun and eerie yellow sky standing at a tram stop in Sheffield. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have admired this soup in the book but I find that it is hard to get a vibrant green broccoli soup esp with tamari and smoked paprika so am not surprised yours isn't quite as green as the name would suggest - the sunflower chorizo sound great for a soup toppings and would probably work well with less flavourful soups too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know now it is def. worth making.
      Yeah shame about the lack of green but thumbs up for taste.
      Yes the choriso sunflower is one of the best i have tasted, in fact I think it is the Best!

      Delete
  5. This sounds very warming and lovely, quite creative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks VegHog, i loved it - very very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like such a delicious soup and I am especially intrigued by the sunflower chorizo croutons. Yum! ;-)
    Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I still have some sunflower chorizo croutons in the fridge - delicious indeed.

      Delete
  8. The sun really was amazing - quite spooky too!

    This meal also sounds amazing, and has me very intrigued. I love the sound of the ingredient mixes.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You