Monday, 9 October 2017

From my Garden To My Kitchen

I genuinely cannot believe that we are already into October, where did September go?!

No really...where did it go?
In My Kitchen, there are some homegrown cooking apples
Some raspberries from the garden plot


And a mix batch of tomatoes that are still growing in the greenhouse.  I  am sharing this small harvest  with  Harvest Monday hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres
But continue with other things in my kitchen made with homegrown fruit and vegetables like this Pan Con Tomate also known as Catalan Tomato Bread.
and this Lemon Marrow Conserve Jam Jelly
And some homemade vegan Marrow Jerky and/or Marrow Biltong.  so called because both cooking methods have been used in the recipe.  Jerky is dehydrated on a rack from anywhere up to 3 hours to overnight and some of these were made that way; and Biltong is traditionally marinated in spices to impart flavours and the marrow slices were made that way.

In the way of new shop bought things, I don't have much to share this month, so will share some things that I forgot to share in the previous couple of months. 
In My Kitchen you will also find some Sherry Vinegar.
I had forgot about this Violife Prosociano 'cheese' in my fridge.  I had picked up it from Bristol VegFest 2017 from a stall called Coffee & Cheese.  It actually makes a good vegan Parmesan alternative and this is coming from someone who still eats dairy cheese. 
In My Kitchen you will also find a packet of Coconut Teabags from The Leafy Tea Company who were at Bath Green Park Station Market.  The Leafy Tea Company is run by a young girl called April.  I loved the tea - it was not too strong in black tea flavour and the coconut flavour came through wonderfully.  I need another day trip to Bath as I am down to my last two Coconut teabags.  I have also learned that she is now selling the tea in pyramid teabags 
In My Kitchen you will also find Creative Nature Chia Seeds and Barley Grass which I picked up at a bargain price, but now don't know what to do with the Barley Grass - any suggestions would be most welcome. 

I am sharing these things in My Kitchen with Sherry Pickings for In My Kitchen series

22 comments:

  1. Lovely fruits and especially those tomatoes! I'm enjoying tomatoes from the vines still too - practically a miracle this late in the season around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, Yes I agree - we picked that last lot of tomatoes yesterday and had a clear out of the greenhouse in readiness for winter salad. Made a Arrabiata for dinner this evening.

      Delete
  2. It's always interesting to see what others are doing with their garden goodies. That Pan Con Tomate looks and sounds delicious! I'll have to try some while we have the tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Yes do try Pan Con tomate - so simple and delicious with homegrown tomatoes.

      Delete
  3. hi Shaheen
    thanks heaps for joining in this month. Look at all your lovely produce. I am very jealous that you can grow raspberries! Coconut tea bags sound interesting. The Catalan tomato bread looks very tasty too. So the vegan cheese tastes good? I have tried various soy cheeses etc but they were not so nice. Have a wonderful October. yep i can't believe the year is slipping away so very fast. Eek! cheers Sherry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Sherry. I was lucky that the garden plot had established fruit plants inc an apple tree. The coconut teabags are really lovely. Yes, this year is def flying now.

      Delete
  4. The term 'marrow' was unfamiliar - perhaps similar to a zucchini or other summer squash? At any rate, the idea of a conserve jam jelly brought a grin, so I clicked to your recipe. It sounds tasty enough to try, especially with neighbors foisting zucchini on anyone who stands still. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SeattleDee. I think in other parts of the world marrow is known as Summer Squash. I do think the Marrow Conserve is an acquired taste

      Delete
  5. I am not much help with the barley grass I'm afraid. Smoothies?!

    I love the sound of the coconut tea and always enjoy seeing your garden produce. The tomato bread looks like a simple but tasty lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame I was thinking of you when I shared the Barley grass Kari :)
      The coconut tea - I recommend, lots of flavour unlike teapigs that have disappointed me a lot of late esp as pricey too

      Delete
  6. I was wondering how you eat the marrow biltong? Is it for snacking or as a meal ingredient? I never would have thought of preserving it that way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathryn. Its for snacking, but i have also used it in sandwiches,

      Delete
  7. Your last bit made me laugh - I have some barleygrass, and I was wondering what you do with it too! I was hoping that you'd have some great ideas, but at least we're both equally clueless! I'd love to try that coconut tea too. Let's hope October doesn't go so fast too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Joey what a shame that your stuck with barley grass like me, if you do come across any ideas - do share. Hope you get to try the coconut tea - i need to replenish hence a visit to Bath is on the cards in a few weeks time. I want October to last a bit as its my wedding anniversary and D's birthday - double celebration, but its also a sad month for us as D's Dad passed away a few years ago in this month too.

      Delete
  8. Shaheen, October "snuck up on me" too! Can't believe it's the 10th already, but so glad to see you in the IMK mix. (I thought I was the last one to post, lol.) Your Catalan Tomato Bread looks so gratifying... I looked up Pan Con Tomate to read more about the history -- so good. Thanks for including both references, and for your recommendation on Prosociano "cheese." It continues to amaze me how many tasty subs are out there, but I weigh the reviews of trusted friends before trying... especially one still able to eat dairy cheese! Also, please forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of "pyramid tea bags." (Re: coconut flavored tea.) Is there a special benefit to that shape vs. the "flat" ones? Do tell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, it def; has snuck up on us hasn't it?! I too weight the views of trusted friends too of vegan products rather than those who review and have to say nice things for the sake of getting more PR work, but this was good as a Parmesan sub, and as a vegetarian I don't use Parmesan anyway as it is made with animal rennet. No worries about the pyramid teabags - i take it for granted that readers know as they have been around in the UK for a while - I will share some next month, i am not sure about the benefit really - but i think they release flavour more quickly, but I will find out for you in time for next month IMK. Thank you as always for coming by and leaving such lovely comments.

      Delete
  9. Loving your tomatoes & raspberries Shaheen, you should be proud of those beauties :) Coconut tea is something I haven't yet seen but hopefully we'll see it soon in Oz. And that tomato bread looks fantastic, what's involved in making that? xx
    https://missfoodfairy.com/2017/10/10/in-my-kitchen-october-2017/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much MissFoodFairy.
      Coconut Tea is quite new, I haven;t seen it much anywhere that is why I was keen to have some at home converted by a taster at the stall too. Hopefully you will find a version in Oz, but this company will ship overseas if you want to check out this link in the blog post. I have shared the recipe for the Tomato bread too - just check out my recent blog post.

      Delete
  10. That fruit and veg are so beautiful. You are so lucky to have such wonderful homegrown crops!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - completely jealous of all your raspberries.

    http://goodfoodweek.com.au/2017/10/life-whats-kitchen-10/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Shari. I came by your blog to repay the compliment but am not familiar with the format you use that wants me to sign into to FB or twitter, so did not manage to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You