Friday, 20 October 2017

Butternut Squash, Chickpeas and Leek Stew

It certainly is getting colder, especially in the evenings and definitely time for soups and stews.

Many years ago, actually it was in 2004 when I lived in Scotland, I made Denis Cotters of Cafe Paradiso fame Squash, Butter bean and Leek Stew.  I ended up making this again, only after 
having paged through the cookbook Paradiso Seasons and was reminded of all those recipes I made before I began this blog. 
Over the years I have adapted the Squash, Butter Bean and Leek Stew recipe as I did not always have butter beans or enough squash.  My version is made with Butternut Squash, Carrots, Chickpeas and Leeks.

Sadly this time round I overcooked the vegetables, so this Butternut Squash, Chickpeas and Leek Stew was bordering more on chunky soup than stew, still very very tasty.



The cooking process is also very different in that Denis Cotter makes stock with the butternut squash which is blended to which the slightly softened leeks and butternut squash and beans are added.  It makes it for a rich and sumptuous dish. The fresh rosemary from the garden plot wonderfully infuses this stew further.
Butternut Squash. Chickpeas and Leek Stew
Adapted from Denis Cotter owner of the best vegetarian restaurant Cafe Paradiso in Ireland, as well as its chef and co-founder.  

6 comments:

  1. I fully agree with the stew and soup season and I'm very happy about it. You just picked the right vegetables for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog. Sadly today I had tinned tomato soup, the weekend slipped away from us this time with us not much to show for it.

      Delete
  2. It looks really lovely - simple but really delicious - I wonder if I still have this book or have sent it on to an op shop - should check my piles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Johanna, do you still have the cookbook - I have to say, If not - i am astonished you sent it on to an op shop as I could not part with my copy - but I will slowly over the next couple of months be getting rid of some cookbooks, mostly those that are not veggie.

      Delete
  3. Still summer in Québec! So weird!
    But I'm ready for squashes an leeks! This stew looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its proper wintry here - the hot water bottle is coming out.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You