Friday, 18 August 2017

Hasselback Zucchini in Smoky Puy Lentil Stew

I was going to slice my homegrown zucchini in a fantail effect, then I remembered bookmarking Hasselback Courgettes from Gluten Free SCD and Veggie which was shared with #EatYourGreens last year.  

However, I still did not get round to making the recipe, but I was inspired by the Hasselback effect for the courgettes in this Smoky Puy Lentil Stew.
The weather here in the UK has been changeable.  One day its really really hot, and then the next day its pouring with rain and the temperature drops a little that you want something a little warming.  It was on one of those muggy wet days last week that this Hasselback Zucchini in Smoky Puy Lentil Stew was made.  


I have to admit looking down at the final dish that the hassleback zucchini looked like eels. 

Do you want to hear story?! When I was little, I popped my head in the freezer to steal an ice lolly, but was confronted by a long fish with teeth peeking out of a plastic bag.  I was horrified.  To my innocent child eyes it was something from the prehistoric ages and gave me the heebie jeebies.  I shrieked, I screamed and slammed the freezer door down.  My parents came running to my aid as it was unlike me to make a noise.  I was not a noisy child.  I burst out crying and told my father how I felt..not that I can remember much of that conversation, except the fact that we never saw it again and we never actually ate it.  I never asked where it went.    

I have another story to do with my little brother, when my Dad brought home quails, I will share that some other time...
By the way despite how these hasselback courgettes may look, this was really good.  Still if you don't fancy the courgettes and I don't know why you would not, but you can substitute it with veggie sausages. 

If you make this, then you can serve it with some rice or enjoy with some crusty bread.    My Legume Love Affair and hosted this month by Seduce Your Tastebuds and administrated by Lisa's Kitchen and with Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice; 
Hasselback Zucchini in Smoky Lentil Stew
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
4 - 6 courgettes, sliced almost to the base so that the slices open out like a fan when cooked
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
Method for the Hasselback Zucchini
Place the courgettes on a large baking sheet, drizzle over the olive oil and season to taste.
Then roast in oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until it can be easily pierced.
Turn off oven to keep warm.
For the smoky Puy lentil Stew
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced and minced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
200g Puy lentils, washed or green/brown lentils
1 x 400g can tomatoes, crushed
600ml-800ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat oil in  a wide an, then add in the onion and cook for 10 minutes until very soft, then stir in the garlic and spices and cook for a couple of minutes efore stirring in the crushed tomatoes and mash well to breakdown.
Then stir in the puy lentils and vegetable stock and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 - 45 minutes or until the puy lentils are tender.
In the meantime, check the courgettes are cooked, then turn off the oven to keep warm.

When the stew is ready, carefully transfer the hassleback courgettes into the stew and warm through before serving between plates. 

8 comments:

  1. I like the idea - looks fun and sounds delicious - they looked like sausages to me but the eels amused me - I always think of the princess bride when I think of eels - which is preferable to your story - that would really freak me out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna.
      Yes i agree they do look like sausages. I have never sat through the Princess Bride, so sadly don't get your reference to eels but you have me interested now.

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious Shaheen - I just love the flavours in it and it's a great way to serve courgettes. Thank you for sharing with #CookOnceEatTwice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an innovative ideas! The stew looks great. Thanks for sending it across to the event.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horrible shock when you were seeking an ice lolly!! I wonder if that put you off sneaking into the freezer :-) (I once did the same as a child and knocked a big container of apple juice onto the floor whilst trying to sneak something or other - not as scary but unfortunately beyond my child ability to clean up alone.)

    Scary fish to one side, this looks like a great vegetarian makeover and a really tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was a shock for sure and not an experience I forgot. No it did not put me off sneaking in the freezer, i went to check if the eel had gone and it had a day or two after my outburst and tears.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You