Sunday, 13 August 2017

Briam - Easy Greek Vegetable Bake

This Greek Vegetable Bake is known as Briam.  Briam  is one of those dishes my Greek flat-mates at University used make and eat after a long day at lectures and tutorials.   

In fact, it was not my Greek flat mates that introduced this Briam or Moussaka, but another Greek girl staying two floors down that frequented the lads, she realised I was vegetarian and one day brought some over for me to try.  It was delicious and she told me how to make it and I thought, well that is easy.   It is also one of the reasons I veered towards making it last week during the working week, straight after work.   



Briam is Greek, but there is also a Turkish version called Turlu. or Tourlou Tourlou.   Briam and Turlus are both often described as a Baked Ratatouille

The other reason for making this Briam - Greek Vegetable Bake is that I have an abundance of courgettes and I also had some green peppers.  I am not always that creative with green peppers, so am always looking for ways to cook and eat them.
So I chopped all the veg, placed it in the oven thinking it would be ready to eat in less than an hour, when in fact it took almost 1 1/2 hours.  I waited.  And waited some more.  It took ages to make.  It was my mistake, I chopped the potatoes way too thick. 
I would make Briam again as it was very enjoyable and very delicious, I loved how the potatoes fell apart, after being cooked properly, but perhaps not after work; or if I did I would ensure I chopped the potatoes down to size to cook at the same speed as the other vegetables. So I am giving you fair warning, if you make this, please do ensure you cut the potatoes down to size and then it is a super easy dish to make at home.

I am sharing the Sweet Potato Rosemary Scones with Family Friends and Food  and Utterly Scrummy for One Potato, Two Potato challenge.

Easy Briam Greek  Vegetable Bake
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 potatoes, peeled and sliced into rounds
2 courgettes, sliced in chunks
1 large aubergine, sliced in half, then cut into chunks
1 green peppers, cored and chopped into chunks
1 red onions, peeled and sliced into wedges
2 large tomatoes, quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced in half
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1 teaspoons dried oregano
60 ml olive oil
250 ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 100g feta cheese
Method
Place all the ingredients, except for the optional feta cheese in a large oven dish with lid and bake in a oven at 180oc/Gas mark 4.
After 45 minutes, remove dish from the oven and press the vegetables down into the liquid with the back of a wooden spoon.
Increase the heat to 200oc/Gas mark5 and bake for a further 30 minutes, until most of the water has evaporated and only the oil and some vegetable juices remain.
Serve with optional feta cheese.

10 comments:

  1. Loving your commitment to the humble courgette. One of our neighbours sells his glut by the road side in bundles with a "honesty" bucket of water to throw your money in!

    My second food love is this kind of mediterranean or middle eastern peasant cuisine which looks simple but packs in the flavour. This would be great with crusty bread al fresco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. Still have lots to come, but I went out into the garden plot yesterday and they are slowing down...and then we have marrows. I have heard of honesty boxes, but not 'honesty' bucket of water- that is interesting.

      I agree this dish would be fab al fresco with some crusty bread to mop up the juices, next time.

      Delete
  2. Green peppers are the least favourite of the multi-coloured pepper bags in our house, so I welcome an idea for how to use them. This looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, yes green peppers are not favoured here either, but they do creep into my veg basket as they come in the packet with the red and yellow. Hope you try this, just pls chop potatoes down to size, or do as Johanna suggested parboil them in advance.

      Delete
  3. I have had turlu at a local restaurant and it was lovely - I love how these dishes are local to an area with many cousins from nearby. This sounds lovely but my oven is so slow I would be tempted to parboil the potatoes on the stovetop first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Yes this is one of those dishes that nearby cousins have variations on. I think you are wise to parboil the potatoes, I may do that next time, only thing cooking it in a vessel sort of infuses the herby gravy flavours into the veg - it makes the dish.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you - I hope to make it again hopefully in September too :)

      Delete
  5. This does look fab, and I love a dish with a bit of history attached. You get a story with your dinner. Anything one-pot where you can stick it in the oven and ignore it sounds great to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joey. This was really good, i totally recommend it.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You