Saturday, 10 June 2017

Ruby Tandoh's Banana Thyme Cake with Lemon Glaze Made at Home

I have made sweet tarts and cakes with fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary and bay leaves many times; and cakes with ripe bananas many, many times, but not the two combined together. 
So my curiosity was peaked when I found a recipe for Banana Thyme Cake in Ruby Tandoh's new cookbook Flavour.  I have borrowed the cookbook from the library.  I spotted her Crumb: The Baking Book there too, but decided that I would pick that up some other time. 
We always have overripe bananas in the house.  

I have to say the bananas coming into the UK recently have been rather disappointingly bordering on still green and unripe.  We tend to have bananas for our working desktop breakfast or lunch, but recently the bananas brought home have been overlooked until of course they are too ripe and only good for making a sweet bake.
This Banana Thyme Cake was lovely by the way, but the zingy Lemon and Thyme Glaze was the best part and I am not an cake icing person.  You can find the full recipe if you click here and the link will take you to The Guardian


Ruby Tandoh's Banana Thyme Cake with Lemon Glaze
Makes 1 x 8 inch round cake
Ingredients
110g butter
125g caster sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 eggs
Lemon zest
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
150g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine salt
For the glaze
75g icing sugar
10ml lemon juice
1/2 lemon zest
Fresh thyme leaves
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc.
Line 8 inch round cake tin with baking parchment paper.
In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the mashed bananas, eggs, lemon zest and thyme.
Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
Then scrape the batter into the baking tin.
Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until golden and well risen and a tooth pick comes out clean. 
Allow it to cool.
Once cool, whisk the  icing sugar and lemon juice together and then pour over the cake. then evenly scatter over the thyme leaves and lemon zest and allow to set.
Once set, remove from the tin, slice and enjoy. 

8 comments:

  1. My wife loves her first book "crumb" - it looks very well written. I like the idea of herbs in cakes. I really must learn a few cake recipes. Sue tends to do the cakes in our house and leaves the bread to me 😀. A white sourdough is proving in the kitchen as I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will get out Crumb. I am not much of a baker either, more into savoury things. I think you should let Sue do the sweet baking and you do the breads :) I appreciate it when my husband sticks with making things he is good at and allows me to do my thing. I really like Ruby. She got a lot of crap as you may remember when she did the GBBO. As a woman of colour myself, I also appreciate her writing about intersectional identity and issues around racism.

      Your sourdough bread must be ready by now. As you know, baking bread is something I envy.

      Delete
    2. Sourdough is done. Looks good. Toast and marmite in the morning. Yes the division of labour works well in our kitchen! GBBO also gave us James Morton's Brilliant Breads which I highly rate. He didn't win either....

      Delete
    3. I actually had my money on Kimberly Wilson to win, but Frances Quinn was spectacular with her creations. Regardless in todays world you don't need to win a contest to be a star. I will see if the library has James Mortons book and bring it home then

      Delete
  2. Herbs and banana do not seem a common baking idea but I can see how it could work - sounds like a lovely cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Johanna, that is why it peaked my interest. I have to admit, I did only add 1 tb fresh thyme, i think the original recipe instructs 2tb.

      Delete
  3. We have had the same trouble with bananas. I've been freezing mine for when I get into smoothies and frozen banana softserve, but this cake looks like a delicious alternative. I'll have to remember the icing as a stand alone option too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kari, so glad to note that i am not the only one who has noted this about bananas. The icing was yummy on this cake, I will use it for doughnuts too.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You