Sunday, 4 June 2017

Some New Things In My Kitchen

So it is that time again, when bloggers around the world come together and share whats new in their kitchen.

In My Kitchen ...
There is a this Vegeta Jar.  I picked it up from a charity shop.  I particularly liked the vegetable illustrations on it.  


Some Sowan's Roasted Buckwheat.  I have mentioned before that I am trying to incorporate more grains in my diet a change from rice for evening meals and pasta salads for work.
I wish I had found this Coconut Butter a couple of weeks back when I made some vegan Chocolate fudge.  I did not have any and substituted cacao butter in the recipe, but I have it now and will make another vegan fudge recipe soon.  
I picked up these Dutch wooden biscuit/cookie stamps from a Boot market.  The elderly lady sold them to me for £1 for both. 
She said she had only used them once and advised to flour them well when pressing into the dough.
We have been enjoying some bread from local independent shops, the name of this artisan bread has escaped my memory.
D thought this Beetroot Bread was gimmicky when I picked it up on a recent trip to Bath, but he quickly changed his mind and was impressed when we sliced into it, not only for the colour, but it did taste of beetroot too. 
Not the best photograph, but I have been enjoying the sweetness of seedless black grapes lately. And behind it purple basil.
I picked up this Instant Reishi Latte when we went to the Bristol VegFest last month.  The reishi tastes a bit like licorice.  The purple Tea with Blueberry was a bit of a disappointment for me, its from M&S.
My blogger friend and Eat Your Greens co-host The VegHog sent me a little gift as she left the UK for Denmark to start a new life. Above is a Tea towel with the words 'Eat Green Think Green'.
The VegHog also send me some dried chanterelle mushrooms, Licorice sticks and Sea Buckthorn Powder which I am especially excited about.  I have had fresh buckthorn a long time back when I lived in Scotland and used to forage for it there, but I have never had it in powder form.  I hope to repay the compliment with a small Thank you in return.
I recently discovered these Hippeas Crisps.  They are made from chickpeas and I do like chickpeas.  these were really good.  The Pepper power certainly had some heat, so watch out!  

I am sharing this with Sherry Pickings for In My Kitchen series.  Its one of my favourite blog events to join in with as I get to nosy in other peoples kitchen, please do join in. 

18 comments:

  1. I love Hippeas! I don't buy crisp type things often, but when I do, Hippeas are one of them. Those dutch moulds are absolutely lovely, I hope to see some biscuits made with them soon. What will you make with the buckthorn? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know.
      I should make an effort with my moulds and other cookie cutters, I am a terrible hoarder.
      I am not quite sure what to do with the buckthorn but will make the most of it

      Delete
  2. Oh how cute, you featured the stuff. :) I hope you find good use for them!

    I really like the vegeta jar and the cookie stamps too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you once again. I have still to post your package out, hopefully next week. The past few weeks have been busy with work.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen
    Thanks for joining in this month. I love the look of that beetroot bread 🍞. How pretty is that! And the other loaf too. What an interesting shape- I hope it tasted good. Funny to think of you eating grapes over there while we are in the depths of winter Not that you would think it's cold probably most days it's in the 20s Celsius of course:). I love the wooden biscuit form as well I have one that was handmade in America. It is of Saint Nicholas 🎅🏽 I have only used it once or twice too. The biscuit mixture seems to need to be really dry to keep the shape So you get a great shape but not really a great biscuit ! hope you have better luck than I did :). Cheers and see you next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry. Yes, it is very pretty and tasted pretty good too. Yes grapes are popular in my house at the moment, picked up some more today. That is the thing i like about blogging as the season is completely different when i converse with bloggers in other parts of the world - we have just harvested our first lot of strawberries too.
      I hope that i do use the mould and not just hoard it, i do hope i get both a great shape and a great biscuit when i do use it.

      Delete
  4. Hi shaheen
    not sure my comment went through. Thanks for joining in IMK this month. love the beetroot bread and the wooden biscuit mould. have fun with it! cheers S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you again Sherry for hosting too

      Delete
  5. Ooh! Some interesting things there - especially the cookie shapers and the beetroot bread. I need to shop before I join in with that blog concept, but it is interesting for us nosey (I mean 'interested') types!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Belinda. I hope you do join in, would love to have a nosey in your kitchen space, I am a nosey type when it comes to kitchenalia and cookbooks! Oh and allotment plots too!

      Delete
  6. What a great selection of items in your kitchen. I think you got a great deal on those biscuit presses / moulds and would have bought that beetroot bread too, even if for a gimmick! It's great it tasted of beetroot as well as having the amazing colour. Thanks for the review of those chickpea crisps too as I have seen them about but not yet tried them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. I agree, the biscuit press was a bargain and you can see its pretty clean too, hardly used.
      There were three flavours of the chickpea crisps, i can't remember the third, but I did enjoy the two I had - would def.have them again.

      Delete
  7. We had wonderful black grapes this year. Much better that the Thompson green seedless. That Vegeta jar is pretty cute but those biscuits moulds are just delightful!

    Thanks for the tour. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona. I have picked some more this week, munching on them slowly.

      Delete
  8. Those wooden stamps are so intricate and such an unusually long shape - I hope to see the biscuits you make with them as they seem just so lovely and I am sure you will find use for them. The colour of that beetroot bread is impressive as it so often bleeds away - I wish I could find out their secret! The domed bread, the vegata jar and the presents from veghog are lovely. And I really like the cloth behind the first few items with the flowers on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Yes I must make an effort to use them, even if it is once. I have a rolling pin with an intricate design that I picked when I went to Brittany and I have still not used that either - shame on me.

      Yes I agree, I marvelled at the splendid beet colour of the bread too. Re the tablecloth in the background, i did not even think about mentioning that, i picked it from a charity shop as I loved the embroidery work.

      Delete
  9. Both of the breads look amazing, but especially the beetroot one. Such colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty. It was good. I hope to Pick up another loaf in the near future.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You