Wednesday, 11 December 2013

Vegan Pomegranate and Parsnip Cake

D very rarely buys me flowers or surprises me with a box of chocolates.   I am not saying he's not romantic.  He just shows his affection for me in different ways, such as coming home with a bit of kitchenalia such as that manual flour sifter a few years back; or more recently coming home with a bottle of pomegranate syrup.  

The pomegranate syrup is designed for flavouring coffee or dousing over ice-cream, but I had other ideas for it.  I decided to add it to cake.  Pomegranate is a very Christmassy festive seasonal ingredient.   

As well as flavouring the vegetable cake with pomegranate syrup, I also decided to pick up some fresh pomegranates and painstakingly tweak out the little red seeds, so that I could top of the Pomegranate Parsnip cake with these edible shimmering precious stones and make it look visually stunning.  Not only do you get the flavour from the syrup, you get a fresh squirt of pomegranate juice when you bite into the cake too.  Yum.  

This vegan Pomegranate and Parsnip Cake is based on my vegan Violet and Parsnip Cake. which has become a firm favourite with those who have tried it.  I wonder what they will make of this new seasonal edition.  Limited of course, for the festive season!
I am sharing these gorgeous delights with  What I Ate Wednesday Party#151 hosted by Peas and Crayons, 
Vegan Pomegranate and Parsnip Cakes 
Serves 8 - 10
Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup of golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 cups grated parsnips
3/4 cup of vegetable or sunflower oil
1/2 cup of pomegranate juice

 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup
Method 
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180oc and grease a 9x9 inch square pan with oil; or 8 - 10 mini loaf tins.
Mix together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add the grated  parsnip and the oil to the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
Add the pomegranate juice and syrup and mix again.
Pour the batter carefully into pan(s).
Bake for 45 minutes for larger version or 20 -25 minutes for smaller versions; or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.


11 comments:

  1. I think pomegranates look really pretty on top of cakes and bakes this time of year. I've not tried using parsnip in cakes before so I must try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I love making cake with parsnip, more than carrots now.

      Delete
  2. Instead of painstakingly tweaking out the pomegranate seeds, have you tried the wooden spoon method? Cut the fruit in two, than hold a half over a bowl, cut side downwards, and bash it firmly on the rear with a blunt instrument (such as a big wooden spoon). The seeds will pop out into the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Mark, Yes I know of the method that has become known as the 'Nigella method', and I have used that method, but you still have to pull off those little cream skins and some seeds still remain attached to it, I'll try it again this w/e though, see if its easier :)

      Delete
  3. sounds delicious - parsnips are such a wonderful vegetable with great depth of flavour and pomegranates are so pretty - the cake even looks slightly pink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna, Yes it is actually a little pink from the pomegranate syrup!

      Delete
  4. How lovely to hear from you! Your blog looks fabulous!

    Happy holidays...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele, Happy holidays to you too.

      Delete
  5. Oh my word! Gotta try this one- thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yogi Veg. Its One of my favourite combinations this year.

      Delete
  6. Goodgolly you're a sparkling genius! Pomegranates and parsnips...I love this combo! Thank you so much for sharing all your vegan deliciousness! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen