Monday, 23 December 2013

Spiced Vegan Christmas Pies

I don't want to be bah humbug, but for those of you who know me now through blogging will know why I am feeling this way, And it to those of you who have taken the time to leave a  warm comment; and for those of you who have e mailed me too that I would like to Thank with all my  heart.  Your words have given me much comfort.  Thank you so much.  I remain heart-broken and it will be fair to say that any good spirit that I had for Christmas has now been overshadowed by this unhappiness and my heart and mind is just not into joyful blogging.  

However, I do have a backlog of Christmas recipes and now is the time to show them, so the posts in the next few days may remain simple and to the point.  

This pastry pie is filled with carrots, parsnips, Brussels sprouts that are well disguised as they have been thoroughly minced, chickpeas and spices.  
As with any Christmas vegetarian plate, all you need on the side are some roasted potatoes, maybe doused with a little cayenne pepper, mile high Yorkshire puddings and stuffing. 

Spiced Vegan Christmas Pies
Makes 6 - 8 pies depending on the size of your individual tins
4 medium medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
100g Brussels sprouts, minced
1 x 400g cooked tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon garam masala or to taste
1 red or green chilli, sliced (remove seeds if you wish)
Salt to taste

In a wide pan, slowly fry the onion in the oil, until soft and caramelised – this will take about 10 minutes. Halfway through the process, add the spices, sliced chilli and cook for a couple of minutes.  Then stir in the minced Brussels sprouts and the chopped vegetables  and cook until tender.  When the vegetables are tender, stir in the cooked chickpeas.  Season with salt to taste.  Heat through for a few minutes, then turn off the heat to allow it to cool down. 
Now make the pastry
You have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. 

For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.

Fill the pastry and top with lid.
Bake for 25 - 35 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.


  1. Your pies sound delicious Shaheen. I'd be very happy with one of those on my Christmas table. I've obviously missed something. Very sorry to hear something unpleasant has occurred.

  2. so sorry to read about moggy. i don't know what i'd do without our sadie-cat so my heart goes out to you.
    these pies look good! we are having chestnut and mushroom pie for christmas.x

  3. Hi Shaheen, thank you for sharing more of your lovely food. Today is horrible gloomy, windy and cold and I'm not at all festive so I'm thinking a pie is a great idea. Take care now, Sally xx

  4. Think I'll have to give this a try with any leftovers from our Christmas dinner, thanks for sharing. Amy x

  5. I just found your blog while looking for snowy trees. Strange yet a nice thing. I love to grow vegetables and I wish you a safe holiday

  6. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of Moggy. Thank you for continuing to share these delicious vegan recipes. Peace.

  7. Thanks for the inspiration, i might add one of my frozen cubes of minced garlic,coriander,green chilli and ginger to this recipe...4 0f my favourite ingredients, might add a few mini plum tomatoes that a friend gave me too.
    Thats' me though, give me a recipe and nearly always I'll change it to include/exclude something!

    Sandie xxx

  8. I can't believe you combined so many of my favorites all in one soul-warming yumful! Many thanks!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You