Friday, 13 December 2013

Oreo Christmas Wreath Cakes

This idea came to me only last week when I was planning to attend an event at a nearby village; and in anticipation of the arrival of lots of kids I thought abut making something that they would be a bit more familiar with, that my usual vegetable based sweet creations which may have got the snug nose reaction.  

I often make what I call an 'Oreo Surprise cake', something that my lovely friend Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog tried when she travelled to Wales this summer for a family wedding.  I thought I would go one step further and douse the cocoa batter with edible decor in the form of holly and berries.  And as i f by magic, the edible mini Oreo Christmas Wreath cakes came into existence.  

I don't know so much about the big kids, but the small kids liked it.

The outer layer is soft and light, and the Oreo biscuit retains not just its bite, but the white coloured cream inside remains moist.  And guess what these are vegan too. 

Of course, these Biscuit /CookieWreaths can be made with any round biscuit, but Oreo's are quite popular at the moment with my nephews and nieces.  Actually, I've had a request to make some more this weekend, and I can't say no - after all 'tis the season to be merry.  I am also sharing this picture to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for No Croutons Required Festive Photo event.
Vegan Mini Oreo Christmas Wreath Cake
Makes 8 - 10 x 3 inch round cakes
Ingredients
30g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
165g brown sugar
200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100ml vegetable oil
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar

1 packet of Oreo cookies (you won't use them all, so have a sneaky treat!)
Ready made edible red berry and holly leaf decoration
Method

Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Line 8-10 round cake tins with baking parchment paper.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar. 

In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients. Then quickly stir in the vinegar.
Pour the batter into the prepared tins and press a cookie into the centre of the batter.  Then carefully and evenly scatter the edible red berry and holly leaf decoration onto the batter, avoiding the Oreo biscuit. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.   
These are better served the following day. 

16 comments:

  1. Yes, I can see how those would appeal to children of all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I can attest that these oreo cakes are truly delicious and have a lovely light texture to them too.

    They look really pretty transformed as they are into Christmas wreaths :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette. Yes, you wouldn't believe that they are the same cake - amazing what a little 'cake make-up' can do :)

      Delete
  3. this is gorgeous - I think you undersell yourself when you say the little kids liked it - I am sure they loved it - will have to bookmark these cakes as I want to try it - not sure what size cake tin to use as I am not sure I have the right size - I guess muffin tins are too small but might work if I don't get too fussed about the wreath (or even a big cake with cookies on it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. As long as the round cake tins are bigger than the oreo cookie for the batter to rise you should be fine, you may make more or you may make less but they will be larger. OH yest a bigger cake would work splendidly too, as this cake recipe was one for a larger cake.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous recipe! I have to make these, I really do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline. I hope you do and the men in you life like them.

      Delete
  5. Ooo they look lovely! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome, Thank you Sooz. Always great to hear from you.

      Delete
  6. Very pretty; what a great idea- you are o creative :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen