Tuesday, 18 July 2017

Zucchini, Broad Beans, Peas and Mint Soup

I am giving my readers advance warning, that the next few blog posts for the next few weeks will be packed with courgette aka zucchini recipes.

So if you have an aversion to this mild, yet versatile vegetable then don't visit - but let me tell you there will be sweet and savoury zucchini recipes, some new, some interesting and some traditional.
Here is the first of many...Zucchini, Broad Beans, Peas and Mint Soup - all the fresh green ingredients have been grown in my garden plot and were picked at the weekend.  
I know its warm, so why on earth would I make soup?



I just fancied something light and its been a while since I made a zucchini soup. I have to admit, I did not enjoy it as much on the day it was made, preferring it a day or two later when the flavours improved, still it made for a lovely summer soup, one to eat with a spoon from a bowl or from an mug if you want to sit in the garden and slurp, watching the bees sneaking in and out of nasturtium flowers. 
I am sharing  this Zucchini Soup with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen and  My Legume Love Affair and hosted this month by The Big Sweet Tooth and administrated by Lisa's Kitchen
Zucchini, Broad Beans, Peas and Mint Soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 courgettes, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 handful of fresh mint leaves,
11/2 - 2 pints vegetable stock
100g fresh or frozen peas
100g broad beans, fresh or frozen
Method
Heat oil in a pan, add the courgettes and saute for 10 minutes for the liquid to be released, then stir in the garlic and saute for a few minutes, before stirring in the mint leaves and pouring in the stock and bringing to a gentle simmer, reduce the heat and cook for 20 minutes or until the courgettes begin to collapse.
Turn off the head and then with a hand blender, blitz to a puree.
Turn the heat back on, stir in the peas and broad beans and bring to gentle simmer, allow to cook until the peas and broad beans become soft.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Enjoy  

14 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely and I am always fascinated by zucchini recipes - sylvia made zucchini muffins at school today so I might try and convince her to make some at home. Lucky you to have an abundance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna,
      OOH zucchini muffins, I think its time i made a savoury version with courgettes - look forward to seeing Sylvias version on your blog soon.

      Delete
  2. It's the time of year for courgette recipes :) I don't grow them so am not blessed with the abundant crop some will have to use, but still like seeing recipes while the veg is in season. It's such a versatile product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeedy!
      Thanks Kari
      :)
      When I did not have a garden, I would grow them in pots and actually have some growing in pots too.

      Delete
  3. Looks nice. Such light dishes are good in the summer. I've been eating way too heavily and that makes me tired... Today it's very rainy, but I'm determined to make a lighter meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather in the UK is so unpredictable at the moment, drizzly rain but warm - I am still happy with a light soup and am favouring lighter meals too, though am not succeeding in making them.

      Delete
  4. This time of the year everyone can use another zucchini recipe. I enjoy hot soup even in the summer, Right now I have about 9 zucchini I need to use so I might give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judee.
      I have harvested a trug full of zucchinis over the weekend so many more recipes to come.

      Delete
  5. I have been making a ton of zucchini recipes including several soups this summer. I love cooking with it. This soup looks tasty and as you know, I eat soup all year round. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I know zucchini is a plant that keeps giving. I hope to share a Zucchini Salad next for Souper Sundays.

      Delete
  6. I always end up with a glut of courgettes from my veg box, so I'm looking forward to more recipes like this! I'm also inundated with more broad beans than I know what to do with, so this soup has pretty much got my name on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey we have a glut too and I am really struggling with it, but have made lots of recipes, but mostly vegetarian. We did not grow as many broad beans this year, so will enjoy the little we have as and when we harvest them, glad you like this light soup.

      Delete
  7. I seem to be in love with this soup... has all my favorite vegetables and lentils! Thank you for linking it to the event... :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You