Saturday, 18 February 2017

Bakers Dozen: Vegetarian Vegan Meat Free Fruit Curry Recipes

This Meat Free Fruit Curry blog post came about after conversing with my vegetarian blogger friend Johanna who blogs over at Green Gourmet Giraffe.  Johanna had recenlty made a variation of Peach and Chickpeas Curry inspired by Jack Monroe, I commented that I too had made a variation of Jack Monro'e Peach and Chickpea Curry a few years back.  

It was  in making that Peach fruit curry that both inspired and gave me the confidence last year to make a vegan Plum Chickpea Curry with the plums that were literally falling from the garden tree

This blog engagement with Green Gourmet Giraffe got me thinking and swiftly decide to share 13 Vegetarian and/ or Vegan Meat Free Fruit Curry Recipes and try and inspire some of you to try some of these unusual combinations, after all if we can have vegetables in desserts, puddings and cake - then I guess, why not a savoury sweet fruit curry.
Yes, I am being a little self-referential, but it is my blog space and start of with my own variation of of a Pakistani recipe Watermelon and Black Beans Curry  with Paneer or Tofu
Hispanic Papaya Curry from The Hispanic Kitchen.  If your interested I also made a Mauritius version of Green Papaya Curry with Soya Chunks
Orange 'Chicken' and Spicy Fruit Curry from Mouthwatering Vegan Recipes
Ms Marmite Lover South African Bunny Chow with Peach Curry and Sultanas with crusty bread.  
Ms Marmite Lover also has a  recipe for Sri Lankan Pineapple, Cashew and Coconut Curry on her website.
Pineapple, Ginger and Tofu Curry from A2K A Seasonal Veg Table
Sri Lankan Spicy Green Apple Curry from The Flavour Blender
You will find a lot of chicken curry recipes made with pear, but you may be interested to note that Food 52 have a recipe for Pear, Butternuts Squash Curry Soup (no photograph)
Strawberry and Puy Lentil Curry from A2K _ A Seasonal Veg Table
Mango Coconut Curry aka Ambya Sasam from Enjoy Indian Food.
Kerala Jackfruit Curry from Sanjeev Kapoor

You will also find a recipe for Spinach Curry with Fresh Apricots from Azelia's Kitchen (no photograph) 
To end, as I begun with the awesome Jack Monroe, she even has a Banana Chickpea and Tea Curry. but it is very possible that this Banana Curry recipe is inspired by the Queen of Vegetarian cuisine in the UK Rose Elliot as she has a Banana Curry with Cashew recipe in The New Complete Vegetarian Collection (2010) check out the recipe here.

Do you have any Vegetarian Vegan Meat Free Fruit Curry Recipes to share?!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking back to my curry - glad it got you thinking and sharing all these wonderful curries - I linked to a few other fruit curries in my post - one of these that I really loved was a rose elliot banana curry I made a few years back. I think fruit and curry is a classic combination as we often had sultanas or fruit in curry when I was young. But perhaps it is not traditional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome Johanna. Oh my goodness how can I forget Rose Elliot, hers were the first vegetarian cookbooks I ever cooked from and I can't believe I overlooked her, of course he recipe is perhaps what Jack Monroes recipe was inspired by, I am updating my blog post.

      Delete
  2. I have to hold my hands up here and say I really don't like fruit in curries, I never have. I even pick out sultanas if I find them in there ... or if I'm being polite in company gulp them down quickly without chewing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I never was - I disliked it immensely, but slowly started getting more brave - starting with tagines with dried apricots and sultanas, now I am game for most vegetarian food, tastes change sometimes - maybe try one of the recipes - if it appeals - I know your a fan of Jack Monroe, trust her with her Peach Chickpea Curry!

      Delete
  3. I love this! I am a big fan of fruit in savoury dishes. Before I was vegan I used to make a lamb and banana curry and a kedgeree with smoked fish and bananas that I loved so I will definitely be checking out the banana curry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am so happy I did this post. Before I became vegetarian, I'had kedgeree with smoked fish, but not the addition of bananas - interesting. i am hoping to try the banana recipe out too, perhaps Rose Elliots version, bananas are quite green at the moment - so this may be the time to try it. I hope you enjoy

      Delete
  4. Gosh, what an amazing round up. I liked the look of Johanna's curry recently and now I have so many more to try out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. And there are so many more...I think Banana Curry will appear on our table soon, I haven't been buying any for our lunch box recently as really green - but would be good to cook with i think

      Delete
  5. Well this is making me realize that I tend to be rather boring with my curry dishes. I think the only of the above combinations I have ever tried is pineapple, ginger curry. Here's to new curry-licious adventures =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, indeed here's to more curry licious adventures and spices!

      Delete
  6. This just goes to show the amazing diversity of vegan and veggie curries - you could eat them all week and never have the same meal twice. A lovely round-up - can't wait to try some of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Joey. I am hoping to make the mango variation soon.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You