Tuesday, 30 July 2013

Aubergine, Black-eyed peas, Pepper and Coconut Pot

I've been making lots of one pot dishes recently such as Rhubarb and Lentil Curry; Moroccan Tajine; and Mushroom Strogonoff for when the rain came down.

This Aubergine, Black eyed peas, pepper and Coconut Pot came soon after.  It's been either too hot or muggy to be slaving in the kitchen for long hours, so I have been opting for one pot summery dishes using seasonal ingredients where I can.  I have to say my efforts have all been appreciated.  
I would describe this Aubergine, Black eyed peas, pepper and Coconut Pot closer to a Sri Lankan style curry, one that is not too spicy.  It really was mildly curried and sweet from the coconut.  I loved the soft nutty flavour from the black eyed peas that melted in your mouth and the aubergines were cooked perfectly.  Not hard at all, but not to soft either and the green peppers still had a little crunch. 
I served it with plain white Basmati rice my favourite, but if you want to ring the changes couscous would also do or even good chunky bread.  
Aubergine, Black-eyed peas, Pepper and Coconut Pot
Serves 4 - 6
Ingredients
200g dried black eyed peas, soaked in cold water overnight
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 aubergines
2 medium onions, finely sliced
2 - 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon of red chilli flakes, or to taste
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt to taste
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, roughly chopped including liquid
200ml vegetable stock
2 green peppers, sliced length ways
1 x 400ml tin of coconut milk (unsweetened)
Method
Drain and rinse the black eyed peas, then put into a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to the boil, then turn heat down and simmer for about an hour or until the peas are tender.  Drain and set aside.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200oc.  Either slice or cube the aubergine into bite size pieces, then toss in 2 tablespoons oil and lay them in a single layer on a baking tray.  Roast in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes, turning a couple of times, until they are soft to the touch and lightly charred. Set aside.
In a wide pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, add the onions and garlic and saut√© until they are beginning to soften.  Stir in the spices and salt to taste.  Saut√© for a few more minutes.  Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock and black eyed peas and bring to a boil, before turning down the heat and allowing it to simmer.  As the liquid slightly begins to thicken, stir in the peppers and coconut milk.  Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.  In the last 5 minutes, stir in the aubergines.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately with an accompaniment.  Adapted from Sri Lankan Cuisine and Denis Cotter For the Love of Food.

8 comments:

  1. dang! I just read this and thought ~ 'that would be perfect for tea tonight as I have an aubergine that needs using'
    can't wait for the recipe now!
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the recipe arrived in time chocolategirl64

      Delete
  2. This looks so delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my type of a delectable & easy dinner to prepare! Yummmm!

    I made your strawberry & pepper lassi & loved it so much & so did my husband Peter! This is on my menu tomorrow! :) MMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sophie, I am so pleased you and your husband loved the lassi. thank you soo much for letting me know.

      Delete
  4. Hi Shaheen, I'm reading this recipe with interest, I may have said before that aubergines scare me a bit, but I'm getting quite interested in the combination of ingredients. Maybe I could try it and only sneak in one aubergine to break myself in gently!! ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, I understand your reluctance with aubergines. I really disliked them when I was small, but I can assure you roasting them really does change the texture into something quite tasty. Yes, of course you can use on aubergine. :) AND I hope you like,let me know

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen