Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Butterfly Cake

I've been taking some evening classes in cake decorating.  I really wanted to sign up for the cupcake decorating ones, I especially wanted to learn the skill of piping those swirly ice-cream swirls, but unfortunately  I was unable to sign up for them as all the dates were a Saturday and I had been scheduled to work those particular Saturdays.   So I opted for this evening class instead.

It was a six week course that ended last week.  I have to admit, I started off not particularly enjoying it and at the end of every class I had decided not to go back, but I did.  And I am glad I did, as  I have picked up a few new skills in cake decorating that I know I can develop and enhance in the future, should I choose to do so.

As well as learning to cover a Victoria Sponge cake or a Madeira Cake with icing, not easy as it seems.  Its got to be even, no lumps and bumps and no air bubbles too.  Its got to be smooth.  We were also taught to emboss and paint our cakes with edible food colouring,  I must add all of which are suitable for vegetarians. Its so amazing how a simple cake covered in white icing is suddenly transformed with a few tools and tricks of the trade.  Here is a photograph of my embossed Butterfly Cake.  
I have to admit, I did get a little tired after painting the fifth small butterfly on the side (so please don't look too closely at the paintwork).  I found them a little too fiddly, but the end result was worth it.
I was really pleased with my embossed Butterfly cake, even though the burgundy ribbon I picked out was a little to on the fat side.  Still, not bad for a first attempt.

22 comments:

  1. It's fantastic, I love the colours of the butterfly. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- this is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! We used to make cakes but stopped because they were so time consuming. People don't realize the amount of work that goes into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can understand, don't think I will be doing it on a large scale - maybe for friends and family

      Delete
  4. Oh that is awesome! I did cake decorating at college and used to ice wedding cakes, but over the years away have lost touch - it looks as though there are some new techniques worth learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks beautiful - you seem to be picking up some amazing skills at your course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly did Johanna. Hope to share some over the next few months

      Delete
  6. Nice job, Shaheen, you are an artist as well asa baker and chef.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you PLummy Mummy

      Delete
  8. Those butterflies are lovely, they really liven up the cake. Well done for persevering with the course, it looks like you've picked up some great skills for the future.

    I probably would've got a bit tired by the time I painted all those butterflies too,I'm not always the most patient when it comes to detailed decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am so glad I am not the only one who feels that way. Thanks Jen

      Delete
  9. It's wonderful and you should be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Shaheen! Your Butterfly Cake is so so pretty... I would love something like this for my wedding cake! Haha ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sumaiyyah. So lovely to hear from you. I am so pleased you love this cake, I need more practice before I am confident enough to make it for any weddings :) Hope your well and thanks for the twitter follow.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You