Thursday, 18 July 2013

Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi

Lassi is appearing all over now as a alternative cooling drink to milkshakes on many trend setting cafĂ© menu's.  Well in the last few days I have made two variations of my own.  Today I will share my Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi and later in the week my Rhubarb, Rose and Vanilla one. 

Lassi - for the un-initiated is a south Asian sweet, sour and salty yogurt based drink, I guess I would sort of describe it as alternative to milkshake.  It is traditionally made up of a blend of home-made natural yogurt, water or milk and seasoning and used to be made by hand with a wooden whisk/stirrer/frother, all I can say now is thank goodness for the food blender/processor as it just takes moments to make.

I grew up drinking both the savoury version flavoured with salt or cumin; or the sweet one enhanced with sugar and almonds.  Sometimes my mother would vary it with fruit, namely with mangoes from Pakistan.    It was always, always made with home-made yogurt, but I have to say I am not as organised as my mother and my natural yogurt comes from a tub - not the same for sure, but it will do as a substitute for my Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi.
My strawberry and black pepper lassi was with strawberries that I had just picked from my own garden.  Initially it was just going to be a simple strawberry lassi, but felt it was lacking something - so a twist of black pepper was added.  It certainly perked me up.

As I was taking a photograph of my Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi, Moggy - the cat who has adopted us came up out of curiosity, so of course I had to snap a photograph of her too. 
Strawberry and Black Pepper Lassi
Serves 2
Ingredients
Handful of fresh, hulled strawberries
160g homemade yogurt or natural live yogurt such as Henna.  (Its not a heavy yogurt like Greek Yogurt and is good to use in smoothies or to use for marinades)
180ml milk
Sugar, honey or maple syrup to taste

Twist of fresh black pepper (do not use the powder form here)
Optional: ice cubes
Method
Blend all the ingredients (except for the black pepper and ice cubes) in a food blender until smooth.  Taste, tweak and adjust to suit your taste buds, blitz again if necessary.  Pour over optional ice-cubes for a cooler drink and add a twist of black pepper, stir well before drinking.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds just what I need today - I've strawberries in the fridge and a new pot of yoghurt. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. Our strawberries are just about done sadly. Now, I am intrigued by the savory lassi. Might you post one you were familiar with growing up..cumin and mango perhaps?

    You have a very good mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will endeavour to do my best for you Bren x

      Delete
  3. I love your strwaberry lassi a lot too! i love the added black pepper in here!

    Sometimes, I add extra drizzles of a good dark balsamic vinegar to this lassi for extra oemph! Yummy too! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie, I will have to try balsamic vinegar

      Delete
  4. I wonder if Moggy got to have a lick or two of Lassi as well...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she did. I gave her a little taste from my fingertips, too sharp for her :)

      Delete
  5. sounds awesome. I haven't had a lassi in a while, and that was the typical mango. Moggy has quite a face! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. Mango is so popular. Yeah moggy certainly has a face.

      Delete
  6. Dearest Shaheen,

    It seems I have a lot to catch up on your news! I've somehow managed to revisit some of my favourite blogs today, including yours! Had a moment of inspiration and suddenly baked carrot cupcakes today!

    Anyway, it's now the month of Ramadhan and Muslims like me are spending the month fasting during the day. Your strawberry lassi would be a fantastic drink for breaking fast! Though I'm not so sure about the black pepper. I love lassi, my Dad is a HUGE fan of mango lassi.

    Take care and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sumaiyyah. So good to hear from you. Carrot cupcakes sound fab. Wish you well with the fasting and its not too long for Eid now.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen