Monday, 29 April 2013

Pasta Please #4 - The Chilli Round Up

Before I share the entries for this months edition of Pasta Please, I would first like to Thank Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for graciously permitting me to host Pasta Please. Secondly Thank you to those of your who raised to the challenge and submitted a Pasta recipe with the ingredient chilli, and moreso it had to be a pasta dish that was suitable for vegetarians.

So in no particular order here are 11 fantastic chilli pasta dishes that totally appeal to me and I hope to some of you too.

The Law Students Cookbook created a Spicy Roasted Vegetable Macaroni and Cheese.  Although she seems not so happy with the amount of breadcrumbs on her pasta dish, I think its homely, comforting and rich enhanced a little with some chilli flakes for warmth.
Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe created an original pasta dish Farfalle with pumpkin, facon and chilli.  She shared in her blog post that its a recipe that pleases not only the man in her life, but the little one too.  I love all the ingredients. Also although you can't quite see it, Johanna has used colourful farfalle for this dish. 
Katharine from Leeks and Limoni shared a Roasted Pepper and Ricotta Pasta.  The roasted peppers impart a sweet and smoky flavour.
Foodadoodleto shared a Chilli and Vodka Pasta a combination I have been so wanting to try for a long, long time.  She has also thrown some kidney beans to the mix, making it perfect grub for blustery evenings.
Simona from Briciole submitted a lorighittas with spicy hot sauce.  This pasta dish is made with a pasta shape that is totally new to me.  Simona describes it as a wreath shape or an earring.   She made these pasta shapes from scratch - I am really impressed at not just her skills, but her patience too. 
Next up Jen from Little Birdie with Roasted Fennel, Chilli and Peppers with Spaghetti.  Jen has included fresh strips of chilli in this lovely dish, it also includes cubes of feta cheese and a light dressing of zingy lemons.  I don't think I have ever tried the combo of fennel and chilli, so this one is one my to make list. 
A long-term and dear blogger friend Rachel Cotterill shared her  Spaghetti Bolognese - The Veggie Way.  She advises it best to allow the sauce to mature overnight as it enhances the flavour. I love the use of dried chipotle here as it imparts a deep smoky flavour.
The Taste Space submitted a Vegan Pad Thai with Tofu and Kelp Noodles - two distinct ingredients boost the flavour of this Thai inspired pasta dish  - tamarind and aleppo chilli flakes.
Chez Foti submitted a lovely green and purple seasonal pasta dish using Purple Sprouting Broccoli.  This dish would have been omitted from the round up as it is not suitable for vegetarians as it contains anchovies (seafood), but I am permitting it only on this occasion as I know capers make a good substitute for vegetarians whom may wish to make it at home. 
Caroline Makes came up with the famous Angry Pasta - Penne al Arrabiata - one of my absolute favourites.  I like her use of herb basil, as I tend to use parsley.
And finally, Janice at Farmersgirl Kitchen shared a Pasta Salad recipe with Chilli, Fennel and Walnut.  The essential chillii kick in this pasta salad comes from a chilli jam - I love the sound of it.

Once again Thank you to Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for permitting me to host Pasta Please and to those of you who submitted a Pasta recipe with chilli.  Next month the challenge will be hosted by Simona at Briciole.

17 comments:

  1. What a lovely collection of suitably warming dishes! :-) I'm glad you let Chez Foti's dish slip through, because it looks marvellously fresh and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, so good to hear from you. Do hope your well. Life is keeping us all busy.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the round-up. Here's to more pasta, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last one sounds amazing, but all the rest sound good too. Now where to start cooking.........! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice and spicy - interesting to see a few fennel dishes - I must buy some fennel for this time of year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I was surprised at the number of fennel and chilli combo dishes. Def. one to try. I grew some a few years ago in containers, I'd say to you have a go. I hope too this year, even if its a handful of things. Last year my growing dreams were dashed. I am hoping to do small things this year to catch up and get the growing bug

      Delete
  5. These looks so delicious. There are so many healthy options to choose from. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see so many pasta dishes with chill in them! I have done a dish very like the one from Chez Foti, but with Gorgonzola cheese and walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So where was your submission, I was eagerly waiting for it and then a little disappointed :(

      Delete
  7. Aw thanks for adding in my recipe Shaheen, much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your so welcome. I love chilli jam and brie, not tried it on pasta though. I will have to try your salad out at the cafe while its still ticking away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely roundup and a collection of very interesting recipes. Thank you, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simona. Looking forward to the next challenge and hopefully I will participate this time round.

      Delete
  10. What a great roundup Shaheen and such varied dishes too. Thanks for hosting x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen