Thursday, 25 April 2013

Welsh Red Dragon Vegetarian Burgers

Well its been a while since I have blogged and here I am yet again, with another vegan burger creation.  I have to say I am quite proud of this one.  There is nothing quite like this in Wales, United Kingdom, hence one of the reasons I am proud of it, the other is its been so darn popular.  Its simply made with red sweet potatoes, red chilli flakes and jalapenos.  Its been described by some people as a 'firecracker of a burger' as its sets a little fire on your tongue.  I certainly have to agree.
Personally I like to top the Red Dragon Burger further with some more pickled jalapenos because I do like it hot. I also recommend (that is of course if you can get your hands on it) slathering it further with some red hot Welsh mustard.  If you don't like it that hot, you can mellow this Red Dragon Burger with some mayonnaise or home-made coleslaw. 
If you love the sound of my Welsh Red Dragon Burger, then you may want to check out some of my other veggie burger delights such as my  Bloody Valentines Beetroot Burger, Parsnip burger enhanced with fenugreek, sharp green apples, Aloo Chaat Masala Burger, Garlic Mushroom Burger as well as those mild mannered ones made with pumpkins and butternut squash.  I've even been inspired to make some Scottish inspired ones such as my Haggis Burger that I featured for St Andrews day and Burns Night and Day Menu.

Welsh Red Dragon  Burgers
Makes 6 - 8 large burgers
Ingredients
100g whole Quinoa
175ml water

2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
I medium onion, grated
200g chickpea flour, plus extra for coating
2 teaspoons hot curry powder
1 teaspoon freshly minced coriander (optional)
1 teaspoon garam masala
Red chilli flakes to taste
50g pickled jalapenos from a jar, minced
Salt to taste
Vegetable oil to shallow fry
Method
Rinse the Quinoa in a sieve with cold water. Boil in 175ml water for 10 minutes covered with a lid. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave on the side to cool down.
In a large bowl, add the grated onion and grated sweet potatoes, stir in the flour, coriander if using, salt and spices.
When the Quinoa has cooled down add to the bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Leave the mixture to firm up for a while. When ready to eat, divide mixture into 6 - 8 burger shapes. Coat in a little dry chickpea flour and fry in a hot frying pan with oil and press them gently whilst cooking. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you again! That burger looks so delicious! I love when my food has a hot, spicy, taste as well, especially if it's coming from a veggie/ vegan burger.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! I have quinoa, sweet potato, besan flour and had no idea what I was cooking for dinner. Thank you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet potato, besan and quinoa sound delicious - but probably hold most of the chillies :-) Glad you are still dropping in with your lovely photos and creations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh these sound delicious, although I would have to go with the mayonnaise rather than the jalapeno and mustard topping. Wowzers Shaheen, it's hurting the roof of my mouth just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look yummy, I have some quinoa I haven't decided what to do with yet too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen