Thursday, 7 June 2012

Carrot Soup with Tamarind Swirl

I can't believe that its June and I am craving for a bowl of tangy soup.  Part of the reason is this crazy indecisive weather.  I don't know what its like where you are, but here in Wales it has changed from rain to shine, shine to rain within moments.  I mean yesterday, I left the house with a coat on as it was raining quite heavy, by the time I got into the town centre the sun was blazing and many people were donning T-shirts and naked legs, I most definitely felt overdressed, but not today - its very, very breezy outside.  In fact, its similar weather to that day when I lost my plastic greenhouse and compost bin.

I am so glad I don't have any physical running around to do today for my upcoming venture and can stay happily indoors.  However, this doesn't mean I haven't got loads of things running through my brain, so instead of making the most of my free day lazing in front of the computer; or TV with a DVD as I have done most of the week, I got on with a bit of cooking and stirring of pots.   
One of the dishes that I completed earlier was this sweet Carrot Soup. I know Carrot Soup, doesn't sound that exciting and I guess its not, but if I mention it with Tamarind, it may just peak your interest. I personally love the flavour of tangy tamarind, there is something just soothing about it, the way lemon soothes when you have a bit of a sore throat. 
I like this soup bowl, I got it a couple of years ago when I went to Paris for the first time ever.  It only comes out now and again; and has appeared on this blog a couple of times already.
I will happily share with you my recipe for this particular carrot soup, just ask - but you will find that there are a number already on this blog. 
Carrot and Thyme Soup
Carrot and Coriander Soup
Carrot and Potato Soup
Plus, I think most people have a good recipe of their own.  As for the Tamarind sauce - see below.  I am linking this simple recipe with Frugal Follies who is hosting Frugal Thursday.
Tamarind Sauce
Ingredients
Makes about 100ml - 120ml
1teaspoon tamarind concentrate
1 tablespoon ginger, freshly grated
100ml vegetable stock
1 teaspoon tomato paste
Method Combine all the ingredients except for the tomato paste in a small saucepan.  Simmer on medium heat for a few minutes, then stir in the tomato paste.  Simmer for a few minutes more until the sauce begins to thicken.  Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
When cool, pour into a squeezy bottle and use over each bowl of soup.  Simply squeeze and drop a few droplets into the bowl, and then with a spoon just swirl.  Nice.

25 comments:

  1. I love the deep sourness of tamarind...I never thought of using it in this way. We usually add some of the paste to rose cocoa beans.

    I must remember next time I make a root vegetable soup...I think it might work well with butternut squash soup too.

    Thanks for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicate! Very nice!

    http://haymarket8.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just what I need at the moment. The rain has made everything feel cold and damp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I'm going to give this sauce a go and then make some carrot soup tomorrow.
    How long will the sauce keep in the fridge for?
    Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have the sauce in the fridge, about a week on the safe side.

      Delete
  5. The weather has also been quite changeable here as well. On moment it's sunny and the other moment it's cold. So I also can't decided whether to wear just a t-shirt or if I should cover myself more. But even if it's cold at least you can do some fun stuff indoors. This soup looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing is better than a carrot soup and this is special. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh carrot soup:) such a wonderful combination of flavor and gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shaheen,
    That's a really interesting tamarind sauce. I bet I can use this to dress my salads too along with some good EVOO.

    Your carrot soup looks really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of this Sri, will try it on a salad for sure.

      Delete
  9. Sounds just wonderfully warming. We are having a rather wet winter too, a lot of rain forcast for the next week or two, definately soup weather. Keep well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rina, so good to hear from you.

      Delete
  10. Thats a nice recipe and just ideal for the summer weather we are all enjoying today (not). Curl up with a bowl of that and everything is good in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our weather might actually be matching up for once :) We're finally into winter (we define it as from the 1st June) and after a very sunny start, it is suddenly cold and rainy and windy. Perfect for soup - and this looks delightful.

    Also, thank you so much for your comment on my last post - that was really kind of you and much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a clever idea! It is most definitely soup weather here - very cold and wet, though mercifully not snowing (and for once, not windy). I'm not sure I've seen tamarind concentrate, but I do have a vacuum pack of tamarind paste, perhaps it's time to experiment a little...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its cold here so this would be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I only have one dish which I cook with tamarind. This one is interesting : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. The soup looks so tempting, I was craving soup earlier it was so cold here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nic,
      Really good t hear rom you

      Delete
  16. Hi Shaheen, I'm craving soup too in this weird weather, infact it's so miserable and un-summer like I'm just craving food in general to cheer myself up. I'm going to be boring and say I like carrot and orange soup.
    I love your dish. I like to have a few nice ceramics it sometimes helps to make a meal more special somehow.
    Hope the rain eases off! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Shaheen,

    I love tamarind and this sauce sound lovely to add to lots of dishes-yum!

    Hope all is going well with setting up the new venture-can’t wait to finally try your wonderful cooking!!

    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks dragonette,
      things are not going smoothly, delays...

      Delete
  18. Yum! Of course June is winter on the south side of the globe and definitely a soupy time of the year. I made chicken stock today with a view to making a parsnip and carrot soup tomorrow. I think I might use your recipe instead.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love carrot soup! Yours looks delicious! Must be amazing with the tamarind :).

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You