Sunday, 15 July 2012

Vegan Carrot Cake

Well let me first start by saying Thank you so much for all your warm  and encouraging comments on my previous blog entry.  Each one, honestly made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, so thank you truly.

I have made a decision to close the doors to the cafe on Mondays.  So today which would ordinarily be a big cook and preparation day for the beginning of the week has been a much appreciated day off.  This morning I had a long lie in bed, a walk along the canal, house work! and right now catching up on a little blogging.  I also have a new recipe to share with my fellow readers: a vegan carrot cake.  I have a number of carrot cake recipes on my blog: including those made with Rainbow Carrots; and a  Carrot Orange Cake; but I have not got round to sharing the vegan version until now. 
As you can imagine, I have been cooking and baking non-stop since opening Hunky Dorys and one of the home bakes that has been proving very, very popular is the Vegan Carrot Cake - in fact I sold out of it last Saturday. 

This carrot cake is light, sweet and moist.  You can keep it just pure carrot orange in both flavour and in colour, but I wanted to add some raisins to mine for additional burst of flavour and speckled effect .  I used to make this vegan carrot cake in a 8 inch by 8 inch square baking tin , but now for the cafeteria make them in individual mini loaf pans. 
Recipe to follow.
Vegan Carrot Cake
Serves 8 - 10

Ingredients
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup of golden caster sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of cinnamon
3 cups shredded carrots
3/4 cup ofvegetable or sunflower oil
1/2 cup of orange juice
1/2 cup of golden raisins or sultanas
Method
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x9 inch square pan with oil.
Mix together the flour, sugars, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon until thoroughly combined. Add the shredded carrots and the oil to the dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon.
Add the orange juice and mix again, then fold in the nuts, raisins and coconut.
Put the batter into pan.
Bake for 45 minutes or until knife/toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
Let cool before slicing. I found this cake is best made a day in advance. Adapted from
Group Recipes

17 comments:

  1. Nice this carrot cake. A nice vegan version and very yummy X

    ReplyDelete
  2. these look lovely - glad you are still finding some time for blogging - must be busy times

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, sadly its been a while since I read fellow bloggers blog - hope to catch up this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Sounds perfect in little bite size pans. Love that little rabbit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I miss that you opened a cafe?! Fantastic news, I hope I'll be able to visit soon :-) You're not *that* far away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know when your coming please - and please note we are closed on Mondays :) Look forward to meeting with you Rachel x

      Delete
  5. Wow those look yummy Shaheen-must do a taste test on them on my next visit! Enjoy your day off although the weather could be a little better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) That is of course, if they are not sold out!

      The weather is fantastic at the moment, unfortunately I am in the kitchen so not much time to enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. These are sure to be a hit with my people too! Can't wait to see the recipe ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hobbit, promise to post it soon.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shaheen, well I'm so pleased the cafe is off to a great start and I can't imagine how much hard work it has all been getting this far. You do right to have Mondays off, my friend who has a veggie cafe in Bridlington runs hers Tues - Sat, you'd work yourself into the ground without a bit of a lie in!
    The vegan carrot cake sounds fab, I've not baked a vegan version so looking forward to reading about it. Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sooo much Sally. Yeah the time is needed off, its certainly long hours making a long day. Hope to come by and visit your blog this weeken. Hope your well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaheen; It's nice to see that you are continuing to blog even after opening the cafe. How is the business going? Are you getting plenty of customers? What is the feedback like?

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You