Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Savoury Beetroot Loaf Wrapped in Beetroot Leaves

Early this afternoon, I had decided to make some more Leafy Beetroot Bites as they were very moreish, however when I found myself in the kitchen staring at the beetroot and its leafy greens, I changed my mind and decided to make something else - a Savoury Beetroot Loaf wrapped in beetroot leaves - a bit of an experiment, shall I say. 
And I am pleased once again to report it worked out rather well.
After a taster bite - cooks treat, my first impression of this was very good.  I can only describe it as a healthy baked spicy fritter, but unlike those hand held morsels, these have to be eaten off a plate with a knife and fork. 
Then my thoughts turned to how was I to serve these, when the phone rant.  It was my brother telling me he was coming over to drop some homemade Pilau rice and minty yogurty sauce. How fortunate for me, as both these additions turned this mini beetroot loaf into a filling meal.
Its up to you if you wish to wrap them in the beetroot leaves, although it gives them a two-tone effect, I have to admit they can be a tad fiddly, so its up to you if you want to make them with or without.  As I mentioned earlier, I had the leaves still in tact, so wanted to find a way of using them, also noone can accuse me of wasting.  I can be a thrift soul when I put my mind to it.
You can easily make this recipe in a loaf tin, but as I do have mini loaf tins, I opted for individual portions. These can be served either warm or at room temperature.  I am linking this recipe to  June's edition of Simple and in Season, a monthly event created by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food. This month it is being hosted by Laura at How to Cook. 
Savoury Beetroot Loaf Wrapped in Beetroot Leaves

Serves 6
2 - 3 tablespoons vegetable oil plus extra for greasing loaf tin(s)
1 large onion, peeled and minced
200g - 250g raw beetroot, peeled and grated
1large potato, grated
1 - 1½ tablepoons garam masala
½ teaspoon cayenne or chilli powder
6 - 10 beetroot leaves, to line the loaf tin(s), any extra beetroot leaves should be shredded
100g wholemeal breadcrumbs
Salt and black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven at gas mark 4/180oc.  First line the loaf tin or individual tins with greased baking parchment paper.  Then coat with additional oil. Now carefully arrange the beetroot leaves into the loaf tin, its okay if it overlaps.  Then evenly spoon out the beetroot mixture into the loaf tin or between the mini loaf tins.  Turn the overlapping beetroot leaves over, so they cover the filling.
Bake in the oven for 30 minutes for mini loaves; or 45-50 minutes for the larger version.  Allow to cool, before turning out and serving. 


  1. They look amazing... [goes to check next veg box contents]

  2. This looks like a lovely way of using beetroot - almost like a nutloaf, but without nuts? Whatever it's called, I'm quite keen!

    1. Thanks Kari,
      Your so right, I probably would have added some nuts to it - bt I don't have any at the moment, so it was made with a little bread - may tweak it in the futrure. I am so glad you like it.

  3. you're on a beetroot kick lately! i love it! those are so creative -- and look delicious! thanks for sharing!

    1. Thank you gfht, I so am :)
      I get like that when I have a particular veg to hand.

  4. Looks great, Shaheen! The deep green of the leaves adds a great contrast to the deep red of the beets.

    1. I know, I was rather surprised at the difference in the greens.

  5. looks delicious ......unique idea shaheen :-)

  6. beetroot leaves are just such a mixed blessing - I hate to waste them but I also am never quite sure what to do with them - love this idea for them

  7. ...yum!...yum!...yum!
    The Rhubarb & Rose Petal Butter sounds delicious the Violet Cake, well!
    You'll have to sample my Medlar Jelly '

    1. Oh Thank you so so much Jason,
      So lovely to have you over my humble little blog, that I have become so proud of over the years. Thank you I am so delighted you like some of the recipes here. Yes, I will take you up on the offer of sampling your medlar jelly, providing I still get to try the chillies and micro salad :)

  8. wow these mini-loaves look just tooooo delicious!
    I'm glad you are in the midst of a beetroot frenzy :) one of my favourite vegetables!

    I don't have beetroot leaves (you usually have to buy just the beets, without leaves) but I think some chard leaves would work well, too.

    1. Thank you so much Torwen, its only because I am findign them for a really good price at my greengrocers - the same greengrocers I hope to be using lots when I start my cafe. The chard leaves will work, esp. if they are the red ruby variety.

  9. This is such a brilliant and new way for me of how to make the most of a vegetable I love. I bet it tasted just great, especially with some rice and yoghurt which happen to be two things I eat a lot of! I think this would make a perfect dish for a picnic too!
    Thanks for entering into Simple and in Season this month :)

  10. Shaheen,
    This is a very unique dish.
    I have to try sometime.
    It looks so tasty!

    Paz :)

  11. Hi Shaheen, I'm sure you've had hundreds but I've nominated you for a Versatile Blogger thingy! :)

  12. Great idea!! I never thought that you can actually wrap beets in their leaves. I do use them in soups though x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You