Monday, 4 June 2012

Fairtrade Banana Flapjacks

I'm ordinarily a muffin and mug of coffee breakfast kinda girl, but lately flapjacks have been finding their way on my breakfast menu, or at snack attack times.  I also have a 10 year old nephew who adores flapjacks so I partly made some to share with him and his cousins. 

I've made banana fair trade banana flapjacks before: a variation with sesame seeds and sultanas; and another with flaked coconut.   However the recipe below make a large dense variation.  One bite and you know you've been smacked in the face with a banana shake!  I mean, these are seriously bananaree - if such a word exists!?
To make these Bananaree flapjacks look a little pretty and appealing to the eyes, I decided to slice one half of the bananas and pressed them gently into the top.  This gives the onlooker an indication of what's in the oaty slab cakes too.
I am sharing some of these banana flapjacks with the Breakfast Club #22, founded and hosted by Helen of Fuss Free Flavours. The theme this month is Fairtrade and for this recipe I have used fairtrade bananas.  I did nearly add some fairtrade chocolate to these, but then decided to keep them purely banana.
Banana Flapjacks
Ingredients
Makes about 16
250g butter
100g golden caster sugar
150g golden syrup
2 ripe fairtrade bananas, mashed (keep back half a banana if you wish to press some into the oaty mixture)
425g rolled oats
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 180oc.
Grease a medium sized baking tray.  My tin measured 8inch by 8 inch with greaseproof paper.  In a large saucepan, melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup and mashed bananas.Take of the heat, then evenly stir in the oats.
Using a spatula, carefully turn out into the baking tray and spread out evenly.  Gently press down down the sliced bananas if using. Place the tray in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the sides are golden. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool, before slicing.

20 comments:

  1. These are really good and healthy too. I like the look of them too. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh i LOVE bananas in baked goods! these look awesome! thanks for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delish - I gain weight just reading your recipes and drooling over the photos. ;-)All lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so pretty with the banana slices - and I wish I could get my flapjacks to stay together like yours - I always get crumbles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, I'm so glad i put the banana slices on them now, they do make a good impression. PS the reason mine don't crumble so much, is all that butter. I am going to have to try and make some vegan ones soon.

      Delete
  5. Perfect to take in the car - brekky on the run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, perfect for car journeys and brekky on the go.

      Delete
  6. I love the way the banana is visible on top - these look and sound delicious. Definitely good for snacks, or breakfast, or both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like these - I'm going to make them later. I got a bag of reduced bananas and have made banana cake and banana cream pie, so this will finish them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your banana cream pie sound good.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I think I'd like those. Very portable too - they would be ideal lunchbox items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Shaheen,

    Those look so yummy and I love the visual look with the banana showing-another winner in my book!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmm these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not quite sure what's happening to the comments on your blog lately - have you been away and not approving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just been busy here with the Queen Jubilee and the long public holiday. I've not had many readers/visitors come by either. Its going to get busier too when my veggie venture begins - getting the keys this Friday and who knows what kind of impact it will have on my blogging. I will still be reading though :)

      Delete
  12. Alther of your flapjacks that goes n my too-do list ;) great!!!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You