Sunday, 5 March 2017

Sicilian Blood Orange Almond Cake (Gluten Free)

It is the Blood Orange Season.

I had picked up some Sicilian Blood Oranges from a supermarket and wasn't completely sure what to do with them other than just peel and eat them, of course.

It was only when I started reading an on line article by Media Diversified on the much celebrated cook Claudia Roden and author of A Book of Middle Eastern Food (1968) and The Book of Jewish Food (1996) that I decided to make Orange and Almond Cake.
In the article the writer mentions Claudia Roden's famous Almond and Orange Cake which she made with blood oranges.  This Orange and Almond cake has featured on many gluten free cookbooks and food blogs as its made without flour. Even Nigella Lawson spun the recipe replacing the oranges with clementines.  
Even though I have New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden
- the cookbook from which the recipe is from, I took my lead from the article and made the Orange Almond Cake with Sicilian Blood Oranges.  

The Blood Orange did not impart any colour to the moist sponge, but plenty of flavour.  The cake itself was truly amazing to eat.
I wasn't going to  post the Sicilian Blood Orange Almond Cake recipe, its plastered all over blogosphere with minor variations: lemons or grapefruit in place of the oranges and a hint of spice: cardamon, caraway or fennel seeds, then I decided to do so.  Another gluten free Orange Almond Cake recipe on blogosphere wasn't going to make a difference, but complete credit goes to the amazing Claudia Roden for sharing the recipe with the Western world.



Sicilian Blood Orange Almond Cake 
9 inch round baking tin
Ingredients
4 blood organic oranges, rinsed
6 free range eggs
250g ground almonds
250g caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
Method
9 inch spring form round tin, with a removable base, buttered and floured

Place 3 or the oranges, unpeeled, into a saucepan and cover with water and allow to boil for 1 ½-2 hours, until the oranges have completely softened.
Drain water and allow the oranges cool, then cut them open and remove the pips.  Make the oranges into a pulp by putting them in a food processor.
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and then add these along with the ground almonds, caster sugar and baking powder to the orange pulp.
Blend thoroughly.
Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin.
Bake in the preheated oven gas mark 4/1800c for about 1 hour. 

Allow to cool in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack. 
Slice.
Adapted slightly from the New Book of Middle Eastern Food by Claudia Roden

Here is an article by Bleeding Expresso Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Blood Oranges

I have also bookmarked this Blood Orange Chia Seed Pudding from Debbie Dishes to make.

8 comments:

  1. aww sish there was a vegan version of this. Looks a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, sorry - there must be a vegan version on blogosphere somewhere.

      Delete
  2. I've been eating a lot of blood oranges, but yes, just eating them with breakfast. This cake looks so lovely, I should try it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I recommend the recipe if you ever want to try making it for gf friends

      Delete
  3. "It is the Blood Orange Season." It is here as well - my husband's favourite season!
    Wow. That is one gorgeous looking cake. All we have been up to is eating them plain as is or throwing them in smoothies. I need to up my orange game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying them fresh too, but we had way to many that cakes became on option - yes you need to make a vegan cake with Blood Oranges Kimmy - theres a challenge for you!

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favourite cakes Shaheen..... it doesn't matter how many versions there are in the blogosphere (yes.... I have one on my blog too...), there's always room for another xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear Kate. Its now a favourite of mine, but when I make it again it will have to be for an occasion, so much almond in the base is worthy of being a special cake.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You