Thursday, 9 March 2017

Daffodils In My Kitchen

St David's Day brought with it daffodils, a handful which made their way into my kitchen.
I didn't have a small vase to showcase the daffodils, so had to improvise. 
I had to go into the recycle bin and pull out an empty bottle of Butty Bach Ale (vegetarian and vegan reader please  see upcoming note below)* that D drank over the weekend whilst watching football.  Butty Bach translates as 'Little Friend'.   Some of you will have read my blog post on the word 'Butty' - see this link if you missed it
I had picked up some fresh Welsh Laverbread from the market at the weekend to make lots of Welsh recipes.  For those of you unfamiliar with Welsh Laverbread or 'bara lawr' as it is known in Wales is a seaweed, that is cooked down to a jet green paste famously described by the acclaimed Welsh actor Richard Burton as 'Welshman's caviar'.   I made a number of recipes with it, including Laverbread Risotto, Laverbread Hummus, seitan Laverbread sausages, and a vegan version of Welsh faggots



In my kitchen there is vital wheat gluten an essential ingredient to make mock seitan sausages at home.  I also got some wheatgrain to experiment with - more about that later.
A tin of Suma coconut milk and a tin of Suma Baked Beans with mini Lincolnshire sausages.  I've had these before and quite enjoyed them for breakfast.
We went to Ludlow a little while back. I picked up a small bottle of Black Truffle Oil for some posh evening meals.
There was a market on in the town and a little stall called The Ludlow Tea Library was selling flowery herbal teas.  I was attracted to these bud  called Love Heart Blooming White Tea. These are flower buds that bloom to a flower when hot water is poured over it.  Its a herbal tea.  I am looking forward to trying it, but need a guest or two to come on over to make more of it.
Whilst walking through the streets of Ludlow there was a health shop I had not seen before called Grape Tree selling nuts and dried fruits and seeds.  I picked up a few packets, including Purple Sweet Potato Powder and Bee Pollen.  I have no idea why I picked the Bee Pollen, so if anyone has any suggestions of ideas what to do with it, please do let me know. 
I use pumpkin seeds a lot in my homemade breakfst cereal - flapjacks for work and savoury muffins
  I also treated myself to a big bag of vegetarian fruit jelly sweets. I used to have a thing for Wine Gums until I found out they were not suitable for vegetarians and gave them up pretty sharpish.
Open my fridge today and you will find some new drinks.  All given to me by other people. Innocent Smoothie made with kiwi, lime, matcha and wheatgrass, a bottle of Nomadic Coconut and Vanilla Chai Yogurt Drink (my mother would roll her eyes at me if she saw this in my fridge as she would vouch that she could make it better at home)  and America's finest Root Beer.
Now don't ask me why I picked up this large packet of Mackie's of Scotland Venison and Cranberry Potato crisps and moreso what was I really thinking, but let me say this.  These crisps are not only suitable for vegetarians, they are also suitable for vegans (NOTE *unlike the  empty bottle of Ale featured above.  D picked up the bottle  by accident, he often checks if it is suitable for vegetarians, but in a hurried shopping spree, he did not, this is also to say that I did not try any).  Its a conversation I would like to have with my friends - what is it with us vegetarians and vegans who have never eaten meat such as bacon, venison and haggis - yet when we see meat flavoured products suitable for vegetarians and vegans we want to try it - whats wrong with us?!.  
Talking of meat, here are some Cheatin mock meat products that I picked up from Holland and Barrett, most of it has gone into our little freezer for Sunday Veggie Roast dinners. There is Gammon style, Beef Style and Turkey style Roast.  
I also picked up these Soysages.  I have to be honest, neither of us liked these and I won't be getting them again, but I do like Dragonfly's Tofu.
One of the boxes of chocolates I was given at Christmas has finally been opened and look what I found inside: white chocolate snowman, milk chocolate snowman and dark chocolate snowman. And if that was not enough, I even picked up little nugget of Black Forest Hot Chocolate.  
I am sharing this with the lovely Lizzy of Bizzy Lizy Good Things for In My Kitchen series.  IMK was started by Celia of Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and its one of my favourite blog events to join in with as I get to nosy in other peoples kitchen, please do join in. 

16 comments:

  1. I've never tried those crisps but I very much like the haggis flavour by Mackie's, they're very savoury and peppery, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'd love to try the haggis ones, esp. if also suitable for veggies.

      Delete
  2. You have some amazing things in your kitchen, as always, but I think my favourites are the daffodils. We will be in the UK for a few weeks from mid May. So glad it's springtime. Thanks for the lovely shout out xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy.
      Hope you enjoy the UK and wishing in advance for you that the weather is kind, it rains here = a lot as you may know.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting kitchen - I think a lot of veg*ns are interested in food and I have found myself buying/making meat style products but never been interested if it is too close to meat - I am quite taken by bacon-flavoured foods because I love smoky flavours and sometimes want to try something without eating meat. But the idea of printing 3D meat makes me feel uneasy. So yes, I would try those crisps but probably only once out of curiosity.

    I had had bee pollen in a smoothie which I think was there for health rather than taste but am not sure.

    I love your snowmen and daffodils. And I am curious to know if fresh laverbread is different to tinned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always think I don't have enough to share for IMK, then go and surprise myself. I am making more of an effort to take pictures of things as and when they come, otherwise they disappear ...
      Ah good to know your like me with mock meat more out of curiosity. I don't think i could do 3d or that vegan burger that bleeds, turns my stomach thinking about it.
      More research on the bee pollen, but yes that is how I have seen it mostly as a topping on desserts.
      The fresh laverbread is much nicer than the tinned I think, and a lot more greener too. So pleased I can get some now, living in Wales and not that far from a city that sells it.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful Daffs and that Root Beer has my name on it though I've never seen or heard of it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. The daffodils are so glorious right now, in some places they look like stars have fallen to earth, stunning.
      I have not had the root beer before, so am looking forward to trying it - so interesting it has your name on it though. I wonder if it is American, or made for export market only.

      Delete
  5. I like the Dragonfly tofu too so am sorry the sausages weren't as good. You have a good selection of faux meats though - and interesting drinks! I'm glad to see the Christmas chocolates are featuring too :-) I like the daffodils and their impromptu vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kari, it was a bit of a shame about the Soysausages, i really wanted to like them - but I think they are too old fashioned and there are superior versions available now. The impromptu vase sadly was not suitable for vegetarians, so I did not try any - my husband picked it up without looking at the label, when I got home - I did - I didn't miss it though as I am more of a wine girl, than beer and ale.

      Delete
  6. venison and cranberry crisps? how very interesting. you have so many interesting things in your kitchen shaheen. Love the daffodils but we don't see many of them here in sub tropical brisbane :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are quite sweet and not at all meat in flavour.
      I'd love to see the flowers in your part of the world, the world is amazing!

      Delete
  7. How fun is your kitchen this month?
    The daffodils are gorgeous! What do you do with truffle oil. I picked some up awhile back but haven't used it for anything yet.
    I love blooming tea, it's so pretty. Very fancy and fun when you have guests.
    The vegetarian jellies look fun =)
    The little chocolate snowmen are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its quite fun this month :0)
      The truffle oil will be used sparingly over soups, but i need to be more creative that that.
      I am looking forward to the Blooming tea, but i want some guests to share it with.

      Delete
  8. Shaheen, I enjoyed a lively session of link following just now thanks to you, and printed off your recipe for Coconut Bacon (with a nod to Johanna) -- it continually amazes me how resourceful folks are (and have to be) to stay true to their dietary needs. (Me, too!) Avocado toast with "Facon Bacon" sounds grand! Also enjoyed your Welsh tutorial, reference to Richard Burton, and "blooming tea." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Thank you so much Kim, you comment has left a big smile on my face early this morning, lovely start to the day. The coconut facon is very good. I am so pleased you enjoyed the post on 'butty' , I can't wait to try the Blooming Tea.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You