Friday, 14 April 2017

Jackfruit Seitan 'Steaks'

Wonderful regular and loyal readers please do not be concerned I have not become 'a meat and two veg' person overnight. This 'Steak' may not look it, but it is 100% vegan it is made with vital wheat gluten (seitan) and jackfruit.
I have been wanting to make Seitan Steaks again for a while and as much as I enjoyed them in the past I found the texture too firm, as well as a little dry.  Then I remembered a while back seeing a few recipes that incorporated jackfruit and seitan together.  I thought this made sense in relation to adding stringy texture to the seitan, but wondered if it also added moisture and decided to have a go at making them.
The finished result was amazing to look at.  I have never in my life eaten a meat steak, but this visually mimicked the real stuff, it was kind of freaky.   Then I tasted it.  It tasted amazing, not at all dry.  In fact it was very moist and the addition of the BBQ sauce on top was not necessary, but it added another level of flavour.  I have to confess, it was way too big for my belly and I could only eat a half, so I have suggested dividing the sietan jackfruit mixture into 6 pieces, than just 4 - but this is up to you. 

I served the Jackfruit Seitan Steaks with Roasted Sweetheart Cabbage and Sweet Potato Wedges. But on another day we had it with oven chips and mushy minted peas. Both times we really enjoyed both the flavour and moist texture of the Jackfruit Seitan 'steaks'.  
I am sharing this big plate of food with Jackfruit Seitan 'Steaks' with Healthy Vegan Fridays by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.



Jackfruit Seitan 'Steaks'
Makes 4-6
Ingredients
310g water
20g nutritional yeast
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons nut butter or tahini paste
2 tablespoons Tamari
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 x can Jackfruit, drained and with a sharp knife chop the core part from the fibrous  part of the jackfruit and keep separate
310g vital wheat gluten
Method
Combine all the ingredient except for the fibrous part of theJackfruit and vital wheat gluten in a food processor and blitz for 20 seconds.
Shred the fibrous parts of the Jackfruit with a fork and keep aside.
Add the core and seeds of the jackfruit and half of the vital wheat gluten to the food processor.
Process for a few bursts seconds, then add in the remaining vital wheat gluten and blend for a minute or so, then stir in the shredded jackfruit and give it a short burst to blend through the mixture.
Tip onto a board, then divide into 4 - 6 rectangle pieces.
Score through with a sharp knife being careful not to cut right through.
Wrap well in foil well.
Then bake in the oven for 40 minutes on gas mark 4/180oc.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Remove from the foil. 
Transfer to fridge or freezer until ready to cook and eat. 

You can marinade the Jackfruit Seitan 'Steak', smother it in sauce.  Its up to you.

To BBQ
Coat generously in BBQ sauce of your choice and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
Serve immediately.
Adapted from  BBQ Jackfruit Ribs by Avocado and Ale and Jacked Up Vegan Ribs by Fat Free Vegan
See also 
Baked Seitan Steaks from  Yeah That Vegan 'Shit' (2007)  VIA Have Cake Will Travel
Seitan Steaks recipe 2010 by The Maine Vegan 
Beet Ribs from Little Black Fox
Beetroot Seitan 'Steaks.


12 comments:

  1. Jackfruit - YUM!
    Now, with Seitan steaks, the meal got to be even better.
    Have a Happy Day, Shaheen.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you, its been a while. Hope your well.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's quite meat looking indeed, but I'm sure that this tastes nice. Sometimes it's nice to have a more substantial and chewy veggie meal. Glad to see another use for jackfruit too, I still have one can left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, nice to have something a bit more substantial on the plate - but then our eyes are often bigger than our bellies.

      Delete
  3. Wow - I have never had a meat steak either but these certainly look authentic. You are very clever with creating your own faux meat products.

    To answer your question on maca - Luckily I have carob powder, otherwise I would have been very sad indeed! Whole Foods sells some carob bars (like chocolate bars) which are what I'd hoped to stock up on, but at least with powder I can make my own.

    In terms of maca powder - I haven't used it very much but do enjoy lucuma powder and I believe they can be used fairly interchangeably (lucuma is more caramelly, maca more nutty-butterscotchy, or so I have read). Lucuma can go in baked goods like you would use cocoa powder, in smoothies and in cereal. I've also made fudge with it - http://www.bitesizedthoughts.com/2015/04/caramel-sweet-potato-fudge-london.html . I hope that helps a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari. I have to be honest, I'd happily give faux meat a miss, but my husband pretty much gave up meat (except fish and seafood) when he met me, he was happy with my vegetable creations that he did not miss meat, but he does miss the texture - so its mostly for him that I do these faux meat recipes. His fave are the chorizo sausages.

      So right with carob powder you can make your own bars. Thanks re your insight about maca powder, you knowledge is better than mine. I didn't even know the flavour difference, i picked it up a while back when it was on offer with cacoa nibs and its been neglected. I have your sweet potato fudge recipe bookmarked, so will give that a go soon - but it may be a while. I have made two fudge recipes recently - a vegan one and a veggie one with beetroot. Will showcase it tomorrow. Thank you so much again Kari.

      Delete
  4. Wow! It does really resemble meat!
    This would be a great recipe to make to get meat lovers to try some plant based deliciousness. Perfect, traditional meat & potatoes, but so much better! Sounds delicious =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. I agree it really does, that its kinda freaky - that is the amazing thing about wheat gluten and I quite enjoyed it too.

      Delete
  5. I was confused at first but it sounds amazing! I have yet to use jackfruit but have tried it at restaurants and love it. I need to find some so I can make this! I'm really excited about it. :)
    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I wondered what you meant about confused, then I read my opening sentence - yikes. I do hope you get to make some at home. So recommend this, I am hoping to make it again, soon!

      Delete
  6. Interesting. I have started to use seitan but tend to prefer it shredded in stir fries rather than as a steak/ burger. The addition of jackfruit intrigues me. I think I would/will make them as burgers. I have this recipe for strawberry barbecue sauce which is just so good - by vegan yack attack - Google it 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to confesss I am still a bit hesitant about seitan, but I do prefer it to Quorn or other brands. The addition of jackfruit is worth trying, I loved it. In fact I have also made some sausages (that look terrible by the way), but tasted great, i am sure you could tweak the shape of that better for a burger. I will share it later this month.
      I will def. check out the BBQ Strawberry Sauce, intrigued now and may give it ago with my homegrown strawberries. By the way, you should try strawberry salsa - awesome
      http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/quick-and-easy-strawberry-jalapeno-salsa.html

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You