Thursday, 2 February 2012

St Mirren and the Streets of Paisley

I think it was in mid October 2011 when we were last in Paisley, Renfewshire and these photographs were taken. 
Fortunately the rain stayed away and we were able to wander around happily.
But before I go on any further, I'd like to share with you my most popular blog post.  You may be surprised to learn that it's not related to food or growing vegetables.  Its one related to the Paisley pattern -  a kidney or teardrop-shape of Persian and Indian origin.  Follow this link. I was gobsmacked, especially as its really a non-blog entry.  I've read since that the shape was originally designed to signify the mango or the mango seed. 
Anyway, we decided to revisit Paisley again.  Paisley was somewhere we had considered purchasing a home, but ended up staying on the outskirts of Glasgow.I used to go there originally for the farmers market, then for thrift shopping as it has many charity shops. 
On this particular weekend, we decided to take a detour from the town centre and the shops. It was a good move.  So many beautiful historical building to see.
Its such as shame to have discovered this part of Paisley now, especially as I am leaving Scotland. Oh well - 'tis life.


Corporation of Paisley Bridge - looks like a fresh lick of paint.



Paisley Heritage Trail.  Forbes Place was the heart of the Parsley Shawl making industry - Click on the image to learn more.


Entrance to Paisley Abbey

You may know nothing about football like me and you may have a husband or partner that loves football (like me), but unless he is Scottish, I bet h doesn't know the answer to this one!
Where are St Mirren from?  Go on, ask him, that one thing about football that you can demonstrate you know more than he or she does.
 St Mirin  is actually the Patron Saint of Paisley. 


 Only the tourists look up - Yes, I guess I am or was  a tourist in Paisley.
The Russell Institute
 This was my favourite cherub looking character holding spectacles.
They are all different.
 Don't believe me....

 See below for comparison.

  Look around and you see small details in places.
  Paisley was granted Fairtrade town status in 2003.
  Walking back towards the High Street
Those of you who are fans of the singer/songwriter Paolo Nutini may be interested to note that the above Castelvecchi Cafe belongs to his parents.  D and me had the hunger pangs and sat indoors for a portion of chips.  The walls are covered with Paola Nutini memorabilia.  I wasn't that keen on Nutini's music when he first hit the music scene, but since some of his music has grown on me.  Dr Who fans may be interested to know that the current Doctor Who David Tennant is also a Paisley Boy.

I've showcased some nicer sides of Paisley, but there is also an ugly side: not just in relation to derelict and decaying buildings, but reputation too.  Over the years Paisley  has acquired a rough reputation as Scotlands most violent town*.  Crimes relating to drugs, gangland shootings, attacks with machetes, stabbings and slashings if you looked at a ned the wrong way.  In Scotland, a Ned is a term applied to louts who hang around street corners, dressed in casual sports wear - usually vibrant colours that make your eyes hurt and drinking Irn Bru.  Fortunately much is being done in Paisley to address this.

*Oh if your wondering whats Scotlands most violent city?  Well its Glasgow. 

22 comments:

  1. Really interesting post-I know so little about the area so it was great to hear about it. Loved the photos-especially the first one with the rainbow and the cherubs were cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Green Dragonette - Yes, like anywhere it has its good points and down points. I love the first image too - so pleased we captured the rainbow :)

      Delete
  2. Your photos make it look like a lovely place. Im sure there are plenty of wonderful places you will discover in Wales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James.
      Like any town, Paisley has its rough bits too.
      Oh Wales is beautiful, I know I will have fun re-discovering parts of it.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous and interesting photo's. I am a born tourist and so I am very conscious to look up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that Magnolia - born tourist - I guess I am too in that case :) But I also look down...for different reasons - if you get my drift - not all dog owners are responsible shall we say.

      Delete
  4. I love those cherubs. I lived in Washington DC years ago, and the National Cathedral there has gargoyles of stonemasons with video cameras, or wolf whistling, or dropping their tools - so hilarious and love the detail.

    (PS Without a lemon a day, I shrivel up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alison, I so want to see them. May have to pay a visit there one day.

      Delete
  5. Hey- im glad to have found your blog! we to are trying to east from our own garden and reduce our shopping spend and the amount of waste we produce! I'll look forward to trying some of your recipies!

    xo em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em,
      Thank you so so much. Its so lovely to make your acquaintance. I am hoping to start growing veg again - properly when I move to my new rented home. It has a good size garden, so yeah lots of veggie recipes will be featured here. But please, do check out the archive too. Lots there already.

      Delete
  6. Shaheen, have you ever considered applying for a job with a Tourist Information service? You'd be good at it, because you look at a place from lots of different angles, that will appeal to different audiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :)
      Thanks Mark,

      Guess what, in one of my roles - not the last job I was made redundnat from, but the one previous to that, my dream job that ended because of lack of funding - well it was working with heritage and environmental organisations. I worked with National Trust for Scotland, Historic Scotland, Scottish National Heritage, Museum and Art Galleries, Foresty Commission etc - training them how to reach new audiences. But noone seems to want me now - every ones seems to have ticked that box :( Hopefully good times are coming. Well I can hope.

      Delete
  7. Wow very beautiful photos absolutely loved them...dusty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about the violent crime--Paisley looks lovely. I'm glad something is being done about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's hard to believe that Paisley is Scotland's most violent town judging from the photos, it looks so nice and peaceful :)
    At least you could enjoy some nice time there :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos! Also Ive just been reading your thai butternut squash soup recipe ( try saying that in a hurry!)... Looks amazing, going to try it asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy - I love that Thai Butternut Soup and everyone who has so far made the recipe has enjoyed it. I hope you do too x

      Delete
  11. Fantastic information and beautiful photographs, I run the local website http://www.paisley.org.uk and it has a page for Paisley Abbey too if you want to have a look http://www.paisley.org.uk/attractions/paisley-abbey/ all the very best..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me again.. wonder if this might be of some interest here are some excellent Paisley Photographs of the Paisley Abbey Medieval Festival which took place on September 15th 2012. www.paisley.org.uk 

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You