Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Colourful BBQ Cauliflower Salad Bowl

I have to throw my hands up and admit that I have somewhat lost my blogging groove.  At the same time I have also found myself uninspired in the kitchen, I am not begrudging this at all, in fact I am a little thankful for it as it has allowed me to both cook those bookmarked recipes as well as peruse cookbooks from my burgeoning bookshelf,  to which I have to confess I have added some more cookbooks. 

For those of you who read my blog, will know that I went to the last Bristol Vegfest at the weekend.  Whilst there, I picked up some vegan cookbooks including Kristy Turners But I could Never Go Vegan and  But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan.
I had considered last year to put them both on my Christmas wish list, but then for some reason decided  not to as I had other vegan and vegetarian cookbooks that I wanted more, but then when I saw both of them at the Vegfest.  I was finally swayed to get the cookbook as my blogger friend Johanna who cooks much like I do at home, was making recipes on her blog and commenting, even fellow blogger Faye Veganopoulous was recommending it.  Both Faye and Johanna have cooked extensively from them.

That evening when I returned home after the Bristol Vegfest, feet up, sitting in front of the TV with a glass of wine and paging through the cookbook very slowly, I knew exactly what I wanted to make first.  It was the s BBQ Cauliflower Salad , not only did it look delicious, I had most of the ingredients to hand. 
The following day, this BBQ Cauliflower Salad was made. The salad is smothered with a vegan blue cheese dressing and some oven baked onion rings, but I found the  BBQ Cauliflower substantial enough on its own and quite hearty lunch after a spell in the garden Sunday afternoon.  It was quite easy to put together with ready made BBQ sauce.
The cookbooks have some vegan recipes that are new to me, especially those made with sauerkraut (as I never know what to do with the jars I bring at home), Jackfruit Crabless Cakes and the Savoury Corn Cheesecake but some not so much like Chickpea Scramble, Chickpea Fries,   Faux Tofu Fish and Chips. I have been making my own and Tofu Fish and Chips inspired by Something Fishy that started their vegan fish and chips business in 2008 now almost 10 years later its appearing all over blogosphere and in cookbooks.

Still the cookbooks have enough inspiration for me to have finally wanted a copy of my own. The next bookmarked from the cookbook are Samosa Cakes and the Sunflower Sausage. 
For the full BBQ Cauliflower Salad Recipe - see here. 

To read Green Gourmet Giraffes Review of But I could Never Go Vegan  see here
And to read Veganopoulous review of But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan click here

16 comments:

  1. Hi Shaheen, this bbq salad looks yummy, I like cauliflower in any recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so pleased you like this. I am not a huge fan of cauliflower still, so like to keep experimenting with it to find my fave cauliflower recipe.

      Delete
  2. We're getting into grilling/BBQ season here this weekend for Memorial Day and this would be a great addition to our cookouts. I heard great things about that cookbook so I'll have to check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Ellen, do hope you get to check it out - you will not be disappointed

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link - Glad you like the books - I agree that some of the recipes are ones that I had already found versions I liked but it has quite a lot of recipes that were new to me or that I was keen to try a new version of. (have your blogged your tofu fish recipe?) I really liked the bbq cauliflower but didn't manage to make the salad - I really like the look of yours even more than the photo in the book (shhh) because the one in the book has the onion rings which are not so much my sort of thing whereas you have lots of lovely veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome Johanna.
      Your right lots of different versions of dishes we may have had in the past, so yes I am intrigued too. Did you follow the link i never the recipe as I honestly thought making batter was pretty easy idea, never thought is would be big 10 years on :) I am pleased you like the look of my salad :D I did up the veggies. I do like onion rings, but found it substantial without

      Delete
  4. This really does look delicious (and makes it look like you are very nicely inspired and very much in your groove!). I'm glad you've been able to pull some nice ideas from hard copy books.

    I was sorry to hear that it was the last VegFest and, to answer your question about hemp seeds, sadly I have no suggestions as I've never had unshelled ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari.
      I am going through bookmarked recipes, but then I go and add more - I guess at least I have started making some of them and this is perhaps the best time when I am having a mental block with kitchen experiments from my head. Yes, its a shame about the VegFest, hopefully they will still be around in a different guise.

      Thank you re question about hemp seeds. If you read this, where do you get your shelled hemp seeds - maybe that is where I should go (if possible). Thanks in advance

      Delete
  5. Funny how the blogging mojo comes and goes, isn't it? Somedays all I want to do is cook, others I just want to put some readymade rubbish in the oven. The colours on this salad are phenomenal - so inviting. I've just been reading the review on Green Gourmet Giraffe, and dreaming of the fish tofu too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey, to be honest - my heart has not been in it for a while, i think that period when I moved to Wales and then lots happening in 2012 and then when I returned - wow, its a different world to what I knew when I started out. I just have to ensure i find joy in it, the day i don't I will give it up, i think.

      'Fish' Tofu mmmmm sometimes only deep fried battered food will do.

      Delete
  6. I hope you find your mojo Shaheen πŸ˜€ Cauliflower is one of my favourite vegetables. I think so many people get put off it from school memories of boiled water-logged cauli and that smell... My wife calls it the food of the devil. It's a running joke that when she is away the kitchen will be awash with "forbidden" vegetables! I prefer it roasted in Indian spices or the tradition stove-top aloo gobi.

    I have bought a number of new cookbooks in the past year but my favourite is Canadian Laura Wright's The First Mess - she has a blog so you can see the style of her food, simple, seasonal, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Not yet, but I am happily cooking up recipes from cookbooks and those bookmarked from blogs as you will see in the coming weeks.

      Cauliflower is my husbands favourite veg too. I would not go far as describing it as the 'food of the devil' though I can understand why. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either, i prefer it roasted though I think.

      Yes, I can see you highly rate Laura Wright, and I value your recommendations, so will def. check it out.

      Delete
  7. The salad bowl looks delicious Shaheen..... but I know what you feel like on the blogging front. I am definitely down on both energy and enthusiasm blog-wise too. It seems that even in the time I have been doing it, the lie of the land has shifted. It all seems so competitive and the expectations to constantly drive social media seem to be increasing daily. It's less and less about great recipes and an interesting read and more and more about business and who is most social technologically and internet savvy! Such a shame!
    I keep having to remind myself why I blog and try and stick to my principles. You have a wonderful blog and your vegan creativity is amazing. I am always amazed at the number of ingredients that are new to me in your recipes and that's a great thing!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate, for reinforcing something I have mentioned before. The blogspace has become a place for promoting mediocre and crap products and junk food in exchange for money. I haven't told you, but I had quite an unpleasant, yet insightful experience a while back when I met some PR bloggers, it really showed an ugly side of them boasting about all the freebies they get from their PR work inc. holidays. I did not care for this as I have never been materialistic, but it was the fact that they were trying to rub my nose in it and belittle me because I did not get that. Between them they failed in trying to make me jealous instead showing a side of blogging and bloggers that I am glad i steered away from.

      Thank you so much for your kind words, it gives me a boost that I am right to continue to stick to my principles and not be swayed by small temptations.

      Delete
  8. I have been eating asparagus almost daily, did not quite manage to do an #eatyourgreens post though I had three attempts! A grain, some salad leaves, roasted asparagus, a few drizzles... What's not to like? Love this window of seasonal opportunity. Sadly, missed out on the wild garlic this year... Have some growing locally but never made the time. There is always next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Asparagus, yes - so have we but mostly as a simple side.
      No worries, hopefully you will join in next month as I will be hosting again. I didn't get hold of much wild garlic this year and fear that I may also miss out on the elderflowers. Lets try and enjoy this year, ay - next year is so far away and life happens.

      PS Like the new avatar.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You