Monday, 22 May 2017

Green to Red Gooseberries

Its almost a month ago, when I showed you progress in the garden plot. 
Today a little more as some plants have gone into the ground, but many plants are still in pots.

Before I go further, I have to admit these photographs were taken last week before the rain came pouring down and much more has grown and sprouted since, including the weeds!
The climbing bean frames are finally up
Beneath these are climbing purple beans, the yellow beans and runner beans have not yet germinated, partly because the seeds were old and partly because I sowed them late, but I am hoping for some more.  On the bean frame at the back are Climbing Alderman Peas.  



These are supposed to be two rows of potatoes, but only one row has come up strong, the other is slowly. 
Some of the courgette plants have gone into the ground.  I will have one patch packed with all sorts of courgettes and patty pan.
Here are some more courgettes in the greenhouse ready to be planted out.  There is so much going on in the greenhouse, but I did not want to bore you with the seedlings. We do have to clear the greenhouse out as we have to put the tomatoes into the ground.  
Lots of strawberries
I was pleased to see nasturtium seedlings finally popping out from the ground, i was concerned that I would not have any.  I like eating both the flowers and the leaves, but I also grow it for the bees. 
Now onto the Green to Red Gooseberries.  I am a little confused.  I picked this gooseberry bush two years back, last year it gave me red gooseberries, but I failed to harvest them in time as the birds got to them before me.  They are growing well, but they are green - will they change colour?  If anyone has grown red gooseberries, please let me know, as I am scratching my head.  

I will be covering these with netting, along with the blueberries to protect from those greedy beaks when the time comes. 
The rhubarb is looking marvellous, I will harvest some come this weekend for cake or maybe a Rhubarb Curry.
And finally, this is supposed to be Harvest Monday. I don't have much to show yet, other than some chives, thyme and rosemary herb sprigs, but I also found some overwinter salad greens in the greenhouse, that were harvested over the weekend for lunch and it is for this reason, that I am joining in with  Harvest Monday which is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres.  
Please come back next week when I hope to show you a bit more colour than just shades of greens.

21 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking good! I believe the green gooseberries should turn red with time, and they usually get softer and more sweet. The ones I'm growing don't get real red, more of a pinkish really. Last year the deer ate all of mine so I need to get them covered soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Slow, but progress is made for sure. Ah, thanks for reminding me about the gooseberries, years of not growing I have forgotten even some of the most basic stuff, it will come back to me.
      Yes, make sure you cover yours too.

      Delete
  2. My father in law grows gooseberries that he mostly picks while green however will ripen to red. He prefers them green because he likes things tart. They make prettier jams and such when blushed with red, in my opinion though.

    I just planted some nasturtiums this morning. We're trying to do more flowers to help out our pollinator neighbors--which in turn should help us as well. And be so pretty!!

    Nice garden tour! Grow little seedlings, grow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree prettier in blushing red :)
      Nasturtiums are great as long as you manage them well. We have a lot of bees in the garden today as the chives are proper in bloom

      Delete
  3. Lots going on in your garden, looks like you're in the middle of the big spring planting phase. Your seedlings are looking amazing and your asparagus and potato dish is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phuong. I am a bit behind, maybe a month behind with the gardening compared to other British gardeners, but I am getting back into the flow. The asparagus and potato dish was really delicious.

      Delete
  4. Nice to see you planting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e. I am def. making better progress this year.
      :)

      Delete
  5. I'm sure my mum has red gooseberries growing in her garden, and they start off green!

    Your garden is looking lovely, the soil looks great (I have been reading lots about soil and now it's all I notice! I have clay so....) My nasturtiums have only just popped up too, I feel like they're a bit late this year! Or maybe I'm just impatient!

    Happy gardening! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks susie. I am so out of touch with gardening that I am asking silly questions, of course they start green then turn red :) The soil is good but we do need to mulch more and top it off. Clay soil is tough we had it at the allotment once. I think the nasturtiums have been late this year. Happy Gardening to you to x

      Delete
  6. This spring has definitely been a strange one. We were very late planting as well. At least it's mostly done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phuong, I can't find the link to your blog to leave you a comment, can you please share. Thank you in advance

      Delete
    2. Sorry Shaheen,
      I've now updated the link to my name to show my website link.

      Delete
  7. I have garden envy any time I see people posting about the goodies they've been growing. I've just about managed some herbs in pots on my windowsills. Can't wait to see the yield from all that greenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will get a patch of green on day. I started originally just with some herb boxes in a make do window boxes when i lived in a flat in Glasgow then progressed to an allotment and now, a little patch of my own - i could never do an allotment again, after the horror we encountered, it broke my heart and i am still angry about it. But this new slow growing green space will slowly become our escape spot.

      Delete
  8. your garden is amazing - I am in admiration of your knowledge for gardening - I hardly ever know what to do and have to ask my mum and then I get distracted from the gardening I should be doing. Re your green and red gooseberries, there is a promo advert for a local radio station at the moment where a talkback caller says that they has a plum tree that suddenly started to produce peaches. They say nowt as queer as folk but what about plants!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your kind Johanna. I am hoping it will be Amazing soon with the colours and the produce :) Still way behind but in a better place than last year for sure. I have lost so much growing knowledge since losing my allotment plot in Glasgow and getting back into it some of it is coming back. That is interesting promo ad, indeed what about plants :) By the way, do You know there is a female fennel and a male fennel?

      Delete
  9. Wow! It's coming along so well Shaheen. I am in awe of how much time and effort it must take to do that. Amazing.
    And the rhubarb! Love it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. I still have to pick the rhubarb!

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You