Tuesday, 18 March 2014

White Sprouting Broccoli and Smoked Paprika Risotto

Lots has happened in the last month, but one of the biggest upheavals has been a house move and I have to say I am so relieved its over (until the next time of course!). 

I am slowly settling into my new abode and getting familiar with my new surroundings.  I will share more in the next couple of weeks about my new kitchen, my new garden, vegetable growing plans and so forth, but with spring well and truly here, let me share with you a recipe that I made recently with white sprouting broccoli. 
I'm not a huge fan of standard bushy head broccoli.  I prefer the purple sprouting variety that is available this this time of year, so you can imagine my excitement when I found both purple and white sprouting broccoli next to each other at a local food producers market.   I have grown white sprouting broccoli in the past, but sadly I never got to try it due to the loss of my allotment plot when I lived in the West of Scotland. Anyway, having never tried white sprouting broccoli, that is what I went for.  
Before adding it to this Smoked Paprika Risotto, I simply steamed the white sprouting broccoli.  I found it a little bitter, so was glad it was part of this Smoked Paprika Risotto which was really good. 
White Sprouting Broccoli and Smoked Paprika Risotto
Serves 4
Ingredients
200g white sprouting broccoli, steamed tender and set aside to cool

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250g risotto rice
200g can of chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 pints gluten free vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil.  Stir in the onion and sauté for 10 minutes or until soft. Stir in the garlic and paprika and cook for a a minute, then stir in the rice and cook for a minute or so. 
Add in the tomatoes along with its juices and 150ml of the vegetable stock.  Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Once the stock has been absorbed by the rice, gradually add more, a ladle at a time until all is used up.  Stir frequently until the rice is cooked, about 20 - 25 minutes.  About 5 minutes before the rice is cooked, stir in the steamed broccoli. 
I am sharing this recipe with Tasty Tuesdays hosted by Vicki at Honest Mum; and Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too.

27 comments:

  1. That does look yummy!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the move, this looks dreamy! Would never think to use white sprouting broccoli in risotto (will now). Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen; It's good to see you blogging again! What is your new garden like? BTW: it's nearly time to sow seeds for NEXT year's PSB, so you had better get your skates on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mark.
      I'll be blogging soon about my new garden, I have planted some seeds inc. those you sent me.

      Delete
  4. Oh Shaheen, you've moved again. Hope it all went OK and you'll be happy in your new home. I'm hoping you've got a decent kitchen and a good bit of garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette.
      Def. gota fab garden growing space :)

      Delete
  5. Very mouthwatering! I love broccoli and have substituted it for other foods. :)

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Try the green broccoli..Romanescu....lightly steamed , deeelicious!!!! In a salad, small florets, all nutty!!
    Good to hear your move went well- I'd been wondering how you were
    xx GZ & Pirate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep my beady eyes out for it.
      Hope you and the Pirate are settling into your new abode too.

      Delete
    2. we are, but it is very small, just a two room cottage!

      Delete
  7. Just wanted to wish you lots of happiness in your new home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sooz. You must have settled in too.

      Delete
  8. glad to hear you are settling in to your new home - that is a huge undertaking but I hope you are happy in your new place and your new kitchen and garden - hope to hear more about it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Johanna. Its been exhausting this time round, but I am glad its over,

      Delete
  9. Hi Shaheen, I have never seen or tried this variety. Will look out for it. I do like standard broccoli though. I have also discovered the delights of peeling those large stems and eating them raw with a little salt. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ray, yeah i like the stalks/stems too, but not eaten them raw - will try one of these days :)

      Delete
  10. I was thinking of you the past many days. So pleased you posted. Have put on my list to grow the sprouting broccoli but never got round to it. Hope you have some luck with it, and will really look forward to reading about your garden plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gardenign Bren,
      Fingers crossed eh, I dohave some seedlings popping though :)

      Delete
  11. This looks like perfect springtime yumfully comforting food...fresh and warm and hearty all at the same time. Just the kind of thing I'd want to after a giant move! Hope everything settles out well for you and you enjoy your new roost...cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! Looks beautiful and I am a bit i love with broccoli so that looks like the perfect topping. Thanks so much for linking up with #recipeoftheweek. I've pinned and tweeted this post and hope to see you linking up again soon! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your move Shaheen! Have to agree with you on the broccoli, I find tenderstem much less cabbage like. Lovely to see paprika in risotto too x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen